PDA

View Full Version : Glasscages.com (Safe or Unsafe)

HeXoM
10-27-2010, 05:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm ready to get my tank but i just wanted to see if anybody here has had any experience with glasscages.com and their tanks.

Are they reliable?
Has anybody had problems with their reef ready system?

If this is something I shouldn't worry about, then that'll be awesome.

Can someone post pictures of their starphire glass?
I would really love to see that.

Sarkazmo
10-27-2010, 06:04 AM
I don't have any personal experience with the tanks but I'm familiar with their site and have read several individual's reviews of them and they've all been stellar. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I could afford one.

Sark

HeXoM
10-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Cuz all i keep hearing is that their workmenship sucks and they have horrible customer service.

But those are all old threads. I'm not sure if they have change since then.
The prices are great but i stand by the saying "you get what you pay for"

HeyNow
10-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I do not have personal experience with them, but I have read the same things.

The Monster fish keeper forum has a lot of discussion on their products.

What size tank are you planning on purchasing?

Gisela
10-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh my God! Just went to their website and saw all the tanks from customers. Put it right to my favorites and start saving money!:18:

WhiteDevil
10-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I have one, wasnt bad, works great, clear as glass really, seams are great on it too.

All their tanks are made by hand by one single person. Customer service was great, delivery is NOT to your door. you must meet their truck at a truck stop and get it right off the truck yourself if its larger, mines a 40 cube, the ONLY thing I dont like is the eurobracing but thats acrylics in general.

Go for it, they are based out of Tennessee I think and deliver via box truck.

Also the seaming is done correctly, alot of hobbists are anal and dont like to see the sealant, Ive only seen one where it was heavy and they remade the tank for them and did overnight it to the guy.

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2010, 05:36 PM
The price of shipping them would blow me away. They are only guaranteed if they are opened up and examined when the delivery man is still on the premises, too. I can't picture any delivery man I've ever had waiting around for the crate to be opened, all the packaging removed and an inspection preformed.

I see you can also pick them up from delivery points along the road where they are having tank shows. 90 day warranty but you must take the tank back to them.

WhiteDevil
10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
they arent shipped in packaging, they bring it directly to you err meet them somewhere. Im not sure on overnighting how they do it just what I heard.

Ordinarily they are on a box truck unpacked/never packaged, they cant leave till you sign for the tank, and the two delivery drivers I had for them used my stop for their lunch so they stuck around anyways but yes you AND the driver inspect it, he takes pics right there and sends them right to the company itself and he gets an answer on weather or not to deliver.

They are the ones making the 350g corner tank for the corner of my fishroom that is just housing the workbench and deep freezer.

Lady Hobbs
10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
They used to have photos on their site of them in large wooden crates but I'm not seeing that now. I was sure it was glasscages because I know of no other companies that ship tanks but perhaps I have them mistaken for another.

WhiteDevil
10-27-2010, 09:24 PM
No they have a box truck now, and they are wrapped in foam and strapped down. I know zero edge crates them like that but most have never heard of that aquarium company.

HeXoM
10-28-2010, 06:17 AM
So i did quite a lot of research and i've read more bad reviews than good reviews about glasscages. Sort of making me sad because it's an awesome price.

I got a price quote for a Lee-Mar tank.
The price is a little hefty but it's soooo sick.

I'm planning on getting a 60 gallon 48x18x16 with starphire glass (front and sides), eurobracing, black silicone, and an corner overflow.
I wanted to get machined edges but it was already too expensive.

What do you guys think?
Still havent made it offical though.
Lee-mar is located near me but im buying it through www.fishtankfactory.com
It's like 34 miles away from me and i dont have to wait so long.

HeyNow
10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Its so hard to say without personal experience and I hate to put something down that I haven't tried myself but I have also read all the bad things that others have posted about their experiences.

Those stories have to be out there for a reason, unless there is a consipracy against the company and people are teaming up to put negative feedback out where anyone can read it.

I was considering ordering a tank for them but in the end I decided against it due to what I had read.

WhiteDevil
10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
As one who owns their tanks and has ordered more and has one being made due to its off shape and size by glasscages.com. I couldnt be happier.
id bet 90% of the complaints are bandwagoneers. Id even go as far as saying they bought a plain jane acrylic and are trying to convince themselves and you at the same time that they were made with quality and care.

You have the option to refuse delivery if its not up to your standards and expectations outlined in their tank info. I havnt had to use that option yet.

You wont be sorry if you do order from them. Besides which tank are you looking at?

HeXoM
10-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Well my friend will be getting his tank before i do from glasscages, so i'll take a look at it before i make my choice. He's getting a 90 gallon tall.

Well since Lee-Mar tanks are custom tanks, i cant post a link of the actual product. Here's a link to this guys build of a custom Lee-Mar tank.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/61908-garage1217s-225g-starphire-build-pure-awesomesauce.html

I got a hefty price quote on a Lee-Mar tank 48x18x16 with starphire glass (front and sides), rear center overflow, diamond cut edges, eurobracing, and black silicone edges.

bmajestic
11-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Pretty sweet coffee tables.

HeXoM
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
It would be nicer if they were round though.