PDA

View Full Version : Will my little pleco get stuck?

domingo3
10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I just picked up a little BN pleco, about 1/2 of an inch long. In my tank, I have plastic light fixture grid on the bottom, with small stones on top of the grid. I couldn't find the pleco after I got home from work. I was looking all over, and finally looked up through the bottom of the tank. It was scooting around under the grid, kind of looking like it was stuck. I was able to lift it and coax it back out, but a few minutes later, it went back down there again. Maybe it likes it down there. I don't want to stress it out and keep disturbing it, but I'm afraid it will get stuck and hurt itself or simply not be able to get out.
Are they likely to swim into somewhere they can't get back out of, or should I stop worrying and leave it alone? I'm sure that once it grows a little, it will not be able to get down there. There's plenty of algae on the rocks and such for it to eat.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

toddnbecka
10-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Murphy's Law guarantees that the pleco will be under the grid when it grows too large to swim through it, but it shouldn't be an issue. It wil find plenty to eat on the bottom of the tank in the meantime, and when it does get too large to swim through you can simply "rescue" it for the last time.

domingo3
10-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a little better. They were both out on the glass last night on their own. Hopefully they grew quickly - at least a little bit.

Scrup
10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Offering other caves for it will help convince it to stay out as well.