PDA

View Full Version : New livestock.

Drumachine09
06-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I got a clown goby, a camel shrimp, and 3 more lbs or LR. I need to rearange my rock a little bit to make room, but they are alll getting along so far. The clown goby is following my damsel around the tank. Its pretty ool looking. Ill get some pics up soon.

Rue
06-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Yay! Looking forward to pics!:19:

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 12:43 AM
congrats! mondays my day. the 10g is getting stocked. the tank is finally crystal clear and running good

Rue
06-24-2007, 12:54 AM
...did you post a picture of the 10g SW?

Drumachine09
06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
...did you post a picture of the 10g SW?

Not yet. Gotta find the camera first.

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2007, 02:04 AM
I have not bought even one new fish in at least 6 months! I am so jealous.

Drumachine09
06-24-2007, 02:09 AM
I have not bought even one new fish in at least 6 months! I am so jealous.

lol, that must take some self control. The little goby sure is active. I dont see much of the camel shrimp, because he hides under the live rock. I re-arangged it, and i am very pleased with how it looks. Im hoping i will get to see more of him. He has some really cool patterns. Here is a pic of a camel shrimp (not mine)

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/329_camel2.jpg

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 02:31 AM
my fireshrimp is too much of a rock dweller. he just sits there and picks at the LR with his claws. cammels are cool

Rue
06-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Very cool shrimp...don't recall seeing them before!

Rue
06-24-2007, 02:50 AM
...just looked them up...says they aren't nec. reef friendly and do best in groups...

...didn't say how much water volume they need...

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 02:57 AM
thats what i heard too. they may attack some corals and like groups. thats what steered me from one in the first place. the hammerhead coral would get scorched

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 03:02 AM
off free info society-

Of Special Note - The camel shrimp is also known as the dancing or candy shrimp for its colorful body. It feeds on plankton, flake food and brine shrimp, along with whatever it can find while grazing. This species will tolerate other members of the same species and is not territorial.

The camel shrimp can be hostile towards other creatures, particularly coral and anemones. It requires plenty of rockwork to hide in while molting, as well as iodine to support molting. The species is mostly nocturnal and will generally hide during the day, but come out at night to scavenge.

This species is very commonly mistaken for a pistol shrimp and added to aquariums with coral. Make sure that when you buy a peppermint shrimp it is not just a mislabeled camel shrimp or your corals and anemones may wind up dead!

Drumachine09
06-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Crud. They said he was reef safe. Although, i am rethinking the whole reef dream, i might just go with a fowlr. decisions decisions, lol.

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 04:19 AM
lol, try teaching the shrimp " THE CONDY AND MUSHROOMS ARE OFF LIMITS, REPEAT AFTER ME MISTER, OFF LIMITS! " lol

Drumachine09
06-24-2007, 04:20 AM
lol, try teaching the shrimp " THE CONDY AND MUSHROOMS ARE OFF LIMITS, REPEAT AFTER ME MISTER, OFF LIMITS! " lol

lol. Somehow, i think he would not listen/understand. But thats just a wild guess.

Are blue legged crabs and turbo snails Reefsafe?

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 04:31 AM
turbo snails are most of the time, dunno about the crab. lobsters are no since they scurry fast, so if the crabs fast chances are thats a no

kkyyllee
06-24-2007, 04:49 AM
blue legged hermits?

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Good suggestion. i want 2 for my 10g salt. theyre reef safe

Drumachine09
06-24-2007, 06:09 AM
blue legged hermits?

Yeah, thats what i was talking about.

unleashed
06-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah, thats what i was talking about.
get electric blue hermits. they look way cooler than blue legs. Also, they are considered and 'un-common' species of hermit. $8.99USD off liveaquaria.com

Drumachine09
06-24-2007, 07:11 PM
get electric blue hermits. they look way cooler than blue legs. Also, they are considered and 'un-common' species of hermit. $8.99USD off liveaquaria.com

Those do look pretty cool.

So basically ive come to a realization. I wont be able to do a full nano reef setup. (now. In a few years IE college, i might.). I could still keep a few mushrooms, because my goby likes them, and they are doing fine with the light i am giving them.

Do you think that the shrimp will kill of the corals? I have them on the very top of the rockstack, and the camel shrimp doesnt come out into the open when the lights are on.

Should i return him just to be safe?

Rue
06-24-2007, 07:28 PM
...not sure...try and feed him well...then he might leave other stuff alone...

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2007, 07:36 PM
i would just wait until you catch him in the act of attacking a coral

2manyfish
06-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Pffftttt.....
half of these sites with their info......if they see a shrimp doing one thing they automatically assume it will do another. Idiots.

Okay, I had a pair of camel shrimp in one of my 20g nanos. It was a full blown reef tank. Flower anemone, about 8 different types of mushroom corals (including ricordia), porities coral (sps), featherdusters, clams. And a group of yellow polyp corals. The camels went after the yellow polyp corals like they were candy! Ate them down to the bare rock. They also ate two small aiptasia anemones (pest anemone) that were on the same rock. Left everything else alone! The only other thing they ever did was to steal food from the anemone on occasion. So don't put any yellow or green star polyps in the tank!
They will appreciate a target feeding at least once a week. They are also sexually dimorphic. The males will have larger front claws with more white on their tips while the females front claws will be smaller with just a tiny bit of white on the ends. The pic you posted was of a male. If you have a pair they will breed every month or so and the larvae make good food for your fish and corals!

Can't wait to see pics of your tank!! :c3:

kkyyllee
06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
you probably had peppermint shrimp and thats why they ddint eat your corals and only ate aptaisia

edit didnt see the yellow polyp part

Drumachine09
06-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Ok, i checked my shrimp, and just the pincher parts of both of its claws are white. So what would it be, male or female?

2manyfish
06-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Hate to tell you Kkyyllee but I can tell the difference between camel and peppermint shrimp! (please insert winking face here as for some reason the smilies aren't working this morning!!)

Drum, it's the size of the front claws that is the difference along with the amount of white showing. Look at the pic you posted. Does your camels front claws look like that or do they look a bit smaller??