PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!!

underwaterking
10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I bought two ghost shrimps today. Put them in very small tank, they will be there for one day. Problem: What do i feed them? I forgot to buy their food, and the man at the lfs didn't remind me!!
Also, can I put an apple snail with goldfish?

Help much appreciated.

thedeanorama
10-23-2010, 04:16 PM
sinking pellets/wafer you may have for another fish, or blanch up a zucchini or a small leaf of lettuce.

Is the tank planted?

underwaterking
10-23-2010, 04:21 PM
sinking pellets/wafer you may have for another fish, or blanch up a zucchini or a small leaf of lettuce.

Is the tank planted?

artificially planted

i just put the lettuce inside the tank?
or do i need to attach it to something so it stays in the bottom?

thanks very much for the help:ssmile:

thedeanorama
10-23-2010, 04:25 PM
You'll want to weight it down. I use little tiny zinc based weights strips for plants but you can just as easily use a fork.

I always rinse off the fork really well (all but scrub) in a bit of dechlorinated water or some left over aquarium water from water changes just to make sure there are no harmful chemicals still sitting on it after being run through the dishwasher.

underwaterking
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
You'll want to weight it down. I use little tiny zinc based weights strips for plants but you can just as easily use a fork.

I always rinse off the fork really well (all but scrub) in a bit of dechlorinated water or some left over aquarium water from water changes just to make sure there are no harmful chemicals still sitting on it after being run through the dishwasher.

ok thanks a lot !!!
what about the apple snail? can it go in the goldfish tank?

thedeanorama
10-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Sadly someone else will have to chime in there, my snail knowledge is based around subtraction not addition :D

underwaterking
10-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Sadly someone else will have to chime in there, my snail knowledge is based around subtraction not addition :D
lol yeah thanks for your interest

Sarkazmo
10-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Two flakes of common fish food is enough to keep those shrimp going for days. Very little food is needed. Ghost shrimp can be aggressive with tank mates and each other. Keep an eye out for problems.

You could keep large Apple Snails with Goldfish but I think you'd be better off with Japanese Trap Door Snails instead. They're water temp needs are right there with the Goldfish. JTD's can be found in some LFS and big box stores but you're sure to find them in a pond supply store as they're commonly used for Goldfish ponds to keep down the algae and plant litter.

Sark

underwaterking
10-24-2010, 07:48 AM
ok thanks very much !!
another question:
i am going to put the snail and the shrimps in a 56L tank, where the ph is in between 7.5 and 8.
the water in the small tank they are in now has a bit more than 7 ph.
Is it safe to transfer them?

VoidParadigm
10-25-2010, 06:13 PM
So long as you acclimate them to the new Ph very slowly (over several hours) it probably wouldn't hurt them.

underwaterking
10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Oooooops!!!!
After doing some research, I have fouund out that my shrimp are actually amano shrimps, not ghost shrimps as the lfs assistant said.(blush)
again, thanks everyone.shrimps are doing fine