PDA

View Full Version : Canister placement

hungryhound
06-23-2007, 07:31 PM
So the wife and I finally set-up our 20g long aquarium last night (we'd had repeated delays due to no Eco complete at our local LFS). This tank is to serve as our quarantine/mating/grow-out tank and is already heavily planted (did I mention it will also be a plant grow-out tank!).

Anyways, we're currently running our old HOB from the 46g (it's a Marineland biowheel 350, without the biowheels). I've been spoiled by our two Rena Xp3 and am looking to get a canister filter for this tank (possible an Ehneim). The only problem that I'm seeing is that this tank is probably only 4-6 inches off the ground as it sits on the bottom shelf of a double stand and I am concerned about how well a canister would function when their is little height difference between the tank and the canister.

Any comments?

Here's a picture of the stand that we're using:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/flutegenetics/DSC_0001.jpg

So would a canister work efficient on a tank set on the bottom of this stand, or a I going to be stuck with a HOB?

Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
06-23-2007, 08:08 PM
a canister would be fine. until i sell it, my 30g hex tank has a canister for 220G and the stand is very tall. the canister has no problem reaching the height. you should be okay

Chrona
06-24-2007, 12:24 AM
During normal operation, there is no difference whatsoever because it's a closed loop. When it's priming though, canisters may have trouble pumping up a great height, but I have never heard of (or can imagine) any issues with 4-6 inches of height.

hungryhound
06-24-2007, 03:00 AM
During normal operation, there is no difference whatsoever because it's a closed loop. When it's priming though, canisters may have trouble pumping up a great height, but I have never heard of (or can imagine) any issues with 4-6 inches of height.

Okay, thanks! I didn't think it would be a problem, but wanted to make sure before investing too much time in deciding what canister to get.