PDA

View Full Version : buying bettas through AB

korweabo0
10-22-2010, 12:06 AM
i'm not very experienced when it comes to buying bettas from AB, or any fish for that matter. i do however, plan on buying one or two within the next month and have a question.

how exactly does the shipping work? i understand bidding on the fish itself, but how exactly will the shipping and trans-shipping payments work out?

thanks.

WhiteDevil
10-22-2010, 12:32 AM
USUALLY buyer pays shipping on anything.

You should contact the seller that you are satisfied with their stock and contact them regarding shipping info/options.

It works the same way as ebay for the most part.

Depending where you are located shipping a fish can get pricey. especially the need for overnight shipping due to the colder weather setting in for most the continental US right now. Those sellers are good folks for the most part and will not rip you off. Like i said get in contact and work on shipping options before you bid so you know the exact or atleast a very close ballpark cost.

korweabo0
10-22-2010, 02:27 AM
USUALLY buyer pays shipping on anything.

You should contact the seller that you are satisfied with their stock and contact them regarding shipping info/options.

It works the same way as ebay for the most part.

Depending where you are located shipping a fish can get pricey. especially the need for overnight shipping due to the colder weather setting in for most the continental US right now. Those sellers are good folks for the most part and will not rip you off. Like i said get in contact and work on shipping options before you bid so you know the exact or atleast a very close ballpark cost.

alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Brhino
10-22-2010, 03:08 AM
If you're buying from a shipper overseas, things get a little tricky because there's a lot of work involved with importing live animals - that's where the trans-shipper comes in. The breeder ships the betta to the trans-shipper, who I believe arrives at the airport to sign all the proper paperwork. The trans-shipper will of course charge a fee for this and there may be a delay as well as they like to combine shipments for obvious reasons. At that point the trans-shipper will ship the betta to you which is a much more straightfoward procedure. It's also easier (and cheaper) if you're busying from someone in the US, but a lot of the bettas on AB are from Asia.

The particular seller should have detailed information on the sales page. You'll most likely have to get in touch with the trans-shipper if you win the bid, and shipping prices will most likely be hefty. With that said, there are some beautiful fish on there. When my wife was getting her betta she strongly considered buying one on AB but ultimately bought one locally. I bought my RCS on AB and the entire transaction went very well.

korweabo0
10-22-2010, 03:49 AM
would you consider "hefty" prices over 40$? that's roughly what i'm expecting to pay per betta with all the shipping payments included and such.

Brhino
10-22-2010, 04:01 AM
from what I saw while I was shopping, the purchase price of the fish could be 20-30$ if you're looking at a really nice one. If you're trans-shipping from Thailand, expect the total cost of all shipping related stuff to be about as much as the fish itself.

Here's a particular auction I picked to look at because it has a good explanation of the shipping process:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1287865772

We combine orders and ship every 2 weeks because by law live animals must be shipped through a licensed import agent,clear US Customs and must be inspected by the US. Dept. of Fish & Wildlife. All this must happen at a major airport and costs quite a bit of money. I take care of all the legalities and ship them on to you.We can keep costs down by combining orders and spreading those costs around over more fish.

You will need to pay Seller in Thailand the price of each fish + $5 per fish to cover his export expenses and shipping costs from Bangkok to Denver.

All Fish will be securely double-bagged and packed in an insulated box, and will be shipped only by next day service. This will be the customer's choice of Express Mail for ZIP codes where they offer next day service, DHL next day which we can offer for just $5 more than the Express Mail rate for most ZIP codes, or Federal Express Next day service.

Import fees are $0.60 per fish
handling for all bettas is $2 per fish
the insullated shiping box is $5
Delivery rates will differ depending on which service is used, but will
range from $20 up

So, to buy that particular fish, it would cost
30.00$ (buy it now price for fish)
+5.00$ shipping expenses to the breeder in Thailand
+27.00$ transhipper's fee and US delivery
= 62.00$ total

Obviously some bettas are cheaper and not all transhippers will charge the same thing, but that gives you an idea of what you can expect.

korweabo0
10-22-2010, 04:16 AM
although the prices may seem a bit sketchy, i may just take the leap. seeing as i don't want to risk buying an off-the-shelf betta at my LFS. i'll think things through before taking the leap. thanks for clearing that up, brhino.

Sarkazmo
10-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Buying just one fish, this is not the way to go. If you're going to buy 4-5 or more then it's great.

There's many US breeders and importers that already have the fish in country so they can be less expensive. I've bought from BettySplendens.com and Victoria, the owner, is great.

If you look at the icons on the listings of AB you'll see what listings are in the US or US/Canada.

Betta ship really well as they extract O2 from the air. They're typically fasted for a couple days before shipment and they're shipped in very little water and lots of airspace in the bags if the shipper knows what they're doing. If you are going to do this then you better do it soon as it's going to get very cold soon although heat packs can extend the time window for shipment.

Sark

korweabo0
10-22-2010, 04:24 AM
i was considering BettySplendens.com, but unfortunately, i'm biased as to what kind of betta i buy --she doesn't sell CTs!! :(

but yes, i'll definately look for breeders in the US. i'll only use those out of the country as a last resort when buying.

thanks again for the help guys!