PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Java Moss

superbsite
10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
While my driftwood is still getting ready since its still leeching tannins before adding my Java Moss on to it can you suggest how I can clean it. Bcos I pulled out 8 tiny teeny weenie snails from the strands. Noticed them after 2 weeks where I quarantined the moss. There may be more ! But I read some where here about the 10 minute salt warmwater dip for plants and then rinsing them back thoroughly with dechlorinated water. Will the salt dip affect the moss ?

Also I want to float some moss in my fry tank by tying a cluster on cork. I have a champagne cork which I boiled for half an hour w/o salt. It still gives a slight odor. Ive kept it submerged it in water now and will see if it usable after a week. Is using a champagne cork to float it ok ?

Tks

Michael Milligan
10-20-2010, 09:00 PM
My plants always have snails! :P

You're in the right direction, but use a bleach dip rather than a salt dip. Search "aquarium plant bleach snail".

Your cork idea is a good one. :) Tie with thread? I have wood in my tank that comes out of the water and several plants on it. The irony is that the snails in my tank keep the bare wood clean.

DrNic
10-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Java moss can be notoriously difficult to clean. If you're worried about snails try a bleach or peroxide dip. Try a little of it first however. Depending on the health of the plant they may be more sensitive than you think. I lost an entire order of plants once when I dipped them without checking first.

As for the floating moss. Cork will work great. Wine corks may not be the best idea though as they will have a lot of organics deep in the cork which may smell. Most bait shops or art stores will sell clean cork that will be good to use though.

korith
10-21-2010, 02:45 AM
I used cork to make a floating moss ball before, just used thread to tie it on. It'll eventually rot away which isn't an issue, by then the moss will have grown and attached it to the cork well.

For the snails, you could try a quick dip in bleach water. The java moss should be hardy enough to survive a quick dip. May want to just pick the snails off individually instead.

superbsite
10-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks I'll do the dip even though I think Ive picked out most of them just to remove eggs and other parasites.

Do you think a warm saltwater dip will be ok instead of bleach/h.peroxide/pot permagnate ?

Michael Milligan
10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Salt in sufficient quantity to kill snail eggs would surely harm your plants.

superbsite
10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the advice Michael

superbsite
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
A silly question
There are so many types of bleaching agents
Which one do I use Laundry, Floor, Toilet, Kitchen.
Is the Clorox Household one is what they refer to for bleaching ?
Trying to relate to a product in our market here
Thanks

Lady Hobbs
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Laundry bleach or chlorinated bleach is pretty much the same thing. Both used for strains and sanitizing. But I don't think I'd bleach moss. I think I'd just shake it loose and let the snails clean it.

WhiteDevil
10-21-2010, 04:41 PM
hot water knocks the snails off, then just feel and squeeze.

i also use a turkey baster to remove egg sacks off the plants.

try the bleach dip but I suggest alum as its alot safer and wont injure even the most sensitive plant.