PDA

View Full Version : Tiger lily in an 8" high tank--trouble

Phaedrus2129
10-20-2010, 03:48 PM
So for reasons of expediency I bought one of those packs of bulbs they sell at Petco to plant in my betta tank, along with a java moss. Naturally 4/5 of the bulbs failed to mature, but one of them did, and it sprouted like mad.

It's gotten big enough for me to identify as a tiger lily of some variety. The good news is it seems to be doing very well. The bad news is that it seems to be doing very well, and tiger lilies can be over two feet high.

Score one more point for a-hole companies that sell random stuff to people who don't know what it is.

Anyway, I know this plant is going to outgrow this tank, and soon. It's already about 6" high and extra long leaves are starting to sprout. The tank is only about 8", being a 6.6ga bookshelf tank. Obviously this plant is going to get too big PDQ.

Now, tiger lilies are a pond plant, but we don't have a pond. What we do have is a 46ga tank that's about 18" deep. I was thinking I could transfer it to that tank at least for now. I'm not sure what I should do when it gets big enough to bloom though. We prefer to keep that tank covered most of the time, but we could plant the tiger in front and leave the tank lid flipped up. But I'm not sure how that would work for a long-term solution. What should I do if I decide we can't keep it? I hate to throw out a perfectly good, healthy plant.

Anyway, we're probably going to move the lily to the bigger tank this weekend. Any tips on how to transfer it? Are tiger lilies especially fragile?

smaug
10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
The bulb should be easily accessible on top of the gravel correct? If so,simply ,gently gather up the bulb and the roots coming from it and drop it in the new tank where you want it.to keep it where you want it get a small flat rock and place it over top the bulb and gently bury the roots.Done.if you want the plant to stay compact remove all emegent leaves that head for the surface,if kept this way the plant will last much longer. They burn themselves out quickly if allowed to flower.

Phaedrus2129
10-21-2010, 11:28 PM
I moved the lily to the bigger tank without trouble and it appears to have taken root. Additionally, it's sending up an emergent leaf right now. I wanted to cut it off, but the house's chief executive officer (dear old mum) decided she wanted to see it bloom, and if it died afterward we'd remove it and buy more bulbs. *shrug*

The fish in the 46ga certainly seem to like it more than the betta did. Nearly all of our fish have taken a turn hiding out under the leaves, especially the red-finned shark. The gourami like to brush against the emergent stem from time to time (I don't think it's because they itch; there's plenty else for them to rub against if they were sick). The corys like to root around under it, and the otos rest on the leaves. Overall it seems like a great addition to the tank, and if this one dies I'm going to plant two replacement bulbs and keep any emergent leaves trimmed so they stick around.

Thanks for the advice. :)

smaug
10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
I wont die thereafter it blooms but if allowed to grow in that way they dont last as long before needing a dormant period which is difficult to give to them .

Phaedrus2129
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
What do you mean by dormant period?

smaug
10-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry I should have explained rather then let you hanging.Bulb plants in the wild do not normally grow year round but will die back during cool months.During this time they are rebuilding there nutrient stores in the bulb to regrow in the warm times.Without this dormancy they burn out.

Phaedrus2129
10-23-2010, 01:04 AM
So how do I give them this restorative dormant period? Put them in a darker, cooler tank with some fertilizer?

smaug
10-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Basically,yup.Fert isnt really needed.I have never done it myself but seems to me if you kept them in a jar with some std garden dirt and water for a few months in a dark cool place that should do it.Seems like a lot of work for something so cheap.

HeatherB
10-23-2010, 02:43 AM
The lily in my tank (also from a bulb) has sprouted out about 3 or 4 plants worth of stuff.

It grows up alot of leaves, I separate them from the main bulb, and more sprout from the main bulb.

I have only gotten tiny little white flowers on mine.