PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a plant recommendation

thedeanorama
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Here are my parameters:

I'm using a 12g nano tank (http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-12g-nano-deluxe.html) that has a lid that all but comes to the surface of the water.

Its 4 watts per gallon and maintains 80F.

It is already planted with stem and rooted plants that I want to maintain this level of lighting on. But there is about 25% of the tank I fine with covering with a surface plant.

Here is where things get difficult:
I don't want the plant(s) to move too freely but I can anchor if need be. Because the filter exit is near the surface and is more like a jet it moves the water in a current, anything freely sitting on the surface would whirl around the tank quite easily. I am going to change my pump to something that is variable though to slow things down a bit.

If there is a rooted plant or stem plant that will continue to grow properly once it reaches the surface I would also entertain that as an option. The plants I have currently stop feeding the base of the plant when the tops reach the surface.

I know this is a tall order but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions. The reason I want to shade a portion of the tank is to give my tetras a break from the lighting.

WhiteDevil
10-18-2010, 08:57 PM
alot of weed like stems will do what you want it to do surface wise, they feed from tip to root.
Im sticking around on the ground cover aspect as i dont use them but am contemplating it, I am at 3.1wpg on a 210g tank.

thedeanorama
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm growing more cobomba in another tank, once it gets long enough I can try that.

I just saw something that looks like it may be an onion plant where the rooted shoots continued to grow along the surface of the water does anyone have any experience with these? I dont want something thats going to die off once it hits the top.