PDA

View Full Version : fat clown pleco?

Kaga's Kritters
10-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi. I haven't been around for a long time, but i'm back.

Anyway, I just bought a clown pleco a few days ago. I noticed when i got him he seemed kinda fat...n he is still that way. I have had clown plecos before in the past and never had one that looked like this. I will try and get a good picture of him, but I haven't had any luck yet. He is just really fat. He looks like a ball with a tail, lol. I was wondering what might cause this and if it's something I should worry about. thanks.

Pleco380
10-17-2010, 11:55 PM
He could have dropsy or could just eat too much. A picture would help. I have 2 clown plecos. One was skinny when I bought him but they are both well fed now. What size tank is he in? Did you QT him before adding to the main tank?

Kaga's Kritters
10-18-2010, 12:17 AM
i am working on pics right now. he is in a 10 gal tank w/ a few fish. no i did not qt him. I never qt fish, i know BAD habit.

Kaga's Kritters
10-18-2010, 12:41 AM
here are some pics of him.

Pleco380
10-18-2010, 12:58 AM
I think a 10g might be a bit small as the pleco grows. It could either be dropsy or it's a she who is a soon to be mother. But I'm not sure. I've never bred plecos or had problems with them.

sp00f
10-18-2010, 01:56 AM
ah, I see your problem - you seem to have purchased a frog.

KatzeSlaugen
10-18-2010, 02:54 AM
ah, I see your problem - you seem to have purchased a frog.
hahaha i literally lol'ed and from a quick search of some resources it appears that she is possibly holding eggs. if it was dropsy she would have problems swimming and would appear more pineconey.

ide keep an eye on her for a few days and do a water change just in case.

also i agree with previous posters 10gal is a bit on the small side for a clown pleco

~Col~
10-18-2010, 04:25 AM
Is she eating? Showing any other signs of illness or distress?

bob saget
10-18-2010, 04:39 AM
looks SO cute :D

Australian natives
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
wow... i don't think that is healthy, tried feeding it a pee? just incase it is constipated? (obviously not all that swelling would be caused by constipation though)

Kaga's Kritters
10-18-2010, 07:10 PM
She doesn't really do anything. Just seems to sit in the corner all the time. She will move around if I bug her, but other than that I haven't really noticed her doing much at all.

I haven't tried feeding her a pea, didn't know that was something that would help or anything.

I know a 10g is alittle small, but it's all I have and she is the only pleco I have in it, and all the other fish are smaller, so she is the biggest thing in the tank.

I was checking her out this morning and noticed a sac-like thing by her back end (under base of tail). I also noticed a few redish/orangish marks back there too.....I'm assuming this is not good...but what is it???

gabbyguppy
10-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't think your little pleco looks healthy.

Do you have driftwood in your tank? Clowns like to have a piece of wood to rasp. Perhaps you are dealing with a diet issue.

Karen

Pleco380
10-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah you will definately need driftwood. My plecos will are constantly on the driftwood.

KatzeSlaugen
10-19-2010, 02:33 AM
i dont believe her to be impacted. if your fish was that impacted well long story short her intestines would have probably ruptured already from the pressure.

could you possibly get some closer pictures especially of her sides?

Kaga's Kritters
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I do have some drift wood in the tank. She hasn't been on it or anything. She just hides all the time. I will try and get some more pics of her this evening.

HeatherB
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I would do a waterchange, and leave the tank lights off for a while. Plecos are more active when its dimly lit, so maybe if he/she moves alittle it will help.

Kaga's Kritters
10-19-2010, 10:25 PM
here is another pic i got. it shows the things on her back end.....

Pleco380
10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Whatever it is, be careful to keep water quality good. That pleco doesn't look healthy at all. You bought it like this right?

Kaga's Kritters
10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
yea she was chubby when i bought her, but has gotten bigger since then....when i bought her i thought she was just a good eater or something.....the bubbles and stuff on her back end showed up after I got her.

Pleco380
10-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Is she looking any better now? Plecos can sometimes be tricky to pick out. They can be super thin, super fat, or just plain ill. Although many times they will be healthy. A QT tank would be a good investment. Way easier than to have to work around the sick fish and the healthy ones in the same tank.

Kaga's Kritters
10-21-2010, 12:28 PM
still not looking any better....but not really any worse either......

Kaga's Kritters
10-24-2010, 11:22 PM
she is getting worse. getting fatter and fatter.... I caught her in a net so I could see what she felt like and where it is bloated real bad and bubbled it feels really soft n squishy. What kind of meds do I use to treat her? I will be going to town tomorrow n can get something then.

Pleco380
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
I honestly can't say I know what's wrong. Have you tried feeding her a pea? I've heard that helps.