PDA

View Full Version : Boris and His Cave

Rhaethe
10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
So, I have a 5g hex. And a betta named Boris.

In that tank is three different varieties of anubias ... and this "cave".

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3756712t400.jpg

Since I got Boris, I've been trying to change out the 'scaping in the tank. Oh no. Boris will have none of it. He will tear up and move around things in a manner that will make a cichlid proud. If I put the barrel cave back in there, he's content. He will permit any other sort of cave either. If I try something more natural looking he pouts and refuses to enter it.

I even leave new pieces in there for several weeks to let him get accustomed. Oh no. Mr Boris becomes Mr Pissy.

End result? A fairly undecorated tank that has one obviously fake barrel cave and one anubias that he likes, with the other two abused and ignored. That's it.

Anyone else have a betta that is not only finicky about his surroundings, but will also rearrange and tear plants up?

smaug
10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Ill say this,he has poor taste in decor.Maybe a bit of queereye for the sillybeta is in order.

Flakes4Bait
10-16-2010, 11:04 PM
That is really funny.
I guess keeping him happy is the most important thing.
Maybe he likes the colorful starfish.

Rhaethe
10-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Ill say this,he has poor taste in decor.Maybe a bit of queereye for the sillybeta is in order.

Hah! Yes.

I did note I need to edit my phrase "He will permit any other sort of cave either." To be "He will not permit ..."

But yes.

If I could find some way of crafting a more natural looking dark cave ... that isn't a coconut shell or terra cotta pot ... he hates those. Haaaates.

I haven't tried a cichlid stone yet ... but I think the reason he likes that barrel cave is that it has 4 entrances/exits.

Trillianne
10-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Hmm have you tried to make him a PVC cave that is covered with rocks/sand/cement that would look more natural and yet apease his love of rounded shapes?