PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers.

Drumachine09
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I thought ive been having temperature troubles with my 55, and when i looked at my stick on "thermometer", it registered 89. Heres the story:

My Room Is REALLY hot in the summer, due to some poor duct work on my fathers part, and i was wondering if my stick-on thermometer was measureing my temp in my room. I like to keep my temperature because i belive it provides more activity, brighter colors, and over all healthyier fish, not to mention that it makes it hard for Ick to thrive. I like to keep it at about 80-82, and my stick on said 89. I flipped, so i went and got the in tank thermometer, and put it in and let it sit. My tank is sitting at a happy 81 degrees, and the stick on thermometer is no more. I will be replacing ALL of my thermometers with the in-tank suction cup ones, and i encourage you to do the same.

tropfish
06-22-2007, 11:46 PM
My stick ones have been off too in the winter when the rooms not hot they seem pretty accurate but in the summer its a different story lol my thermometer reads 82-84 but i have the heater on 78?¿

MacAnthony
06-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for posting this. I had been wondering about the accuracy of mine as well. I will get one and verify this is the case.

Lady Hobbs
06-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh my gosh. Do you remember me posting about my stick- on's last summer? I was adding ice to my tank all during a hot spell here because my stick-on's were registering 86-89. It was hotter than Hattie's in the apartment which was doing it.

I had a glass thermometer and stuck it in every tank for a true reading and the temps were right where they should have been. Mine were reading nearly 7 degrees too much.

fraley
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
If you run your fingers over a stick on termometer then it ruins them apparently because of the the crystals in them. which i guess is what has happened to mine because my internal suction cup style reads 76 whilst the stick on is at 86!

sunjwd
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
My stick-on was also really inaccurate. Plus even if it was reading correctly it is designed so you can't really get an accurate read. I originally got it because I was going to keep cold water fish, and did I mention they are really cheap?
I took it off and replaced it with a digital thermometer. The good thing is that the stick-on came off easily and did not leave any residue - the glue is the same quality as the thermometer LOL.

cocoa_pleco
06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
good job with the digitals. all of my tanks have them now. i trusted glass ones until my doctor told me his old story how he had a 125g in the office, and all his fish died within a hour, 3 batches of fish. the thermometer said 77F, the tank was at 93F

crackatinny
06-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I have always used the internal suction cap ones, but on my latest setup I went digital, I tried the submersable digital, but was less than impressed, then I went for an external digital that has a probe that gos in the tank, the readout gos on the outside, these are a great thermometer, and easily hidden, and show the exact temp eg 28.5C, and also change from C to F at the flick of a switch, they cost about AU$9 but I reckon are worth the little extra, eventually I will change all my tanks to these type.

A340
06-26-2007, 04:12 AM
I'm still using the old fashioned glass tube on a suction cup. They've never let me down yet. I'd like to go digital, but at $15 CAD a pop, it'll have to wait. There are too many other things on my shopping list right now.

Drumachine09
06-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Petsmart has this one where you can set an alert to go off when the temperature goes above or below a certain temperature. That would be useful on really sensitive tanks.

A340
06-26-2007, 04:34 AM
What would be really nice is if they had one that also monitored you water chemistry, all in one little digital gadget.

cocoa_pleco
06-26-2007, 04:55 AM
i finally have one of those on my 33g salt. it has the temp, PH, water change schedule, overflow alert, drastic temp drop/increase alert, and the day of the month. the rest of my tanks have the basic digital temp.

A340
06-26-2007, 05:06 AM
i finally have one of those on my 33g salt. it has the temp, PH, water change schedule, overflow alert, drastic temp drop/increase alert, and the day of the month. the rest of my tanks have the basic digital temp.
But it doesn't actually measure anything other than the temp, correct? Everything else are just reminders.

crackatinny
06-26-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm still using the old fashioned glass tube on a suction cup. They've never let me down yet. I'd like to go digital, but at $15 CAD a pop, it'll have to wait. There are too many other things on my shopping list right now.

Wow I thought Australian prices was expensive, when I read American prices, I thought Canadian prices would be much the same as America.

A340
06-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Wow I thought Australian prices was expensive, when I read American prices, I thought Canadian prices would be much the same as America.
Our dollar is almost on par with the US dollar now, but yeah, things are pretty pricey up here. On top of the price you also have to add a 7% Goods and Services Tax and depending on the province you live in, a Provincial Sales tax, for example I live in BC so it's 7%, Cocoa Pleco lives in Alberta where they don't have PST (lucky bugger).

zackish
06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
I find the stick on ones to be a few degrees colder than the actual temp but that's weird it registered as hotter. For my turtle and my fish tanks I have the tube thermometers with a single suction cup that can be put in the side.