PDA

View Full Version : How expensive is it to have CO2 in aquarium?

kurly
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I am looking at the plants in my aquarium and would really like my plants to look healthier and greener. I have never used a CO2 system before because honestly, it just seems so confusing to me and possibly too expensive. Could someone please give me a little advice? :help:

Thanks

WhiteDevil
10-15-2010, 09:32 PM
for which tank? I use a DIY on my 52 with outstanding results, and use pressurized on my 210. Pressurized system ran me just over 400 bucks with two brand new 5# tanks. Around me it costs 15 bucks to fill the tank each time.

It all really depends on what you want to spend. I got my pressurized system from aquariumplants.com, it runs flawlessly. I also use their powered m5000 reactor. Ive had nothing but great experiences with them, even troubleshooting when i first got it for hours to follow up calls months later to check on things and make sure I am happy. Im sure others will disagree but its the only thing I have to go on.

My DIY lasts 5-6 weeks and costs me next to nothing to do.

Wild Turkey
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
You got me wondering so I did the math for the most expensive ingredient by far, sugar. Its certainly not exact, but i came up with approximately $1.68 worth of sugar per month for this setup:

2 bottles
replacing every 2 weeks
2 cups of sugar in the recipe per bottle
paying 50cents/lb. for sugar

Accordingly, if you buy a little 5 lb bag of sugar the cost would be about double, or if you use one bottle it would about half etc etc.

White Devil, what recipe are you using thats lasting 5-6 weeks?

kurly
10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I am thinking about CO2 for my 65 gallon tank. It's in the Family Room and is seen by everyone so I want the plants to look better. I see picutres of other tanks and just love how green the plants look. But $400 bucks is more than I can spend so looks like I'll have to be satisfied with how my plants look for now.

WhiteDevil
10-15-2010, 11:01 PM
the regular one just substitute bakers yeast for brewers yeast and use a pinch of brown sugar.

I use 3 64 oz bottles, 1 2 liter for an accumulator and a nice venturi valve on top to trickle the brew out, its kept in the dark thus lasting longer.

HeatherB
10-15-2010, 11:57 PM
I found a Co2 system in the clearance section of Petsmart. It was a Hagen system that was $34 marked down to under $10. So I bought that. I think I will be putting it on my 5 gallon tank- since after Christmas when I upgrade to a 55g. I will do a DIY kit. The Hagen kit is only good up to 20 gallons or else you have to add another unit.

kurly
10-16-2010, 01:33 AM
HeatherB,
What do you mean by a DIY kit?

WhiteDevil
10-16-2010, 02:50 AM
I dont use 2 liters, I forgot to add, Might as well be but I use three 64oz gatorade bottles and a 2 liter bottle(coke) for an accumulator. venturi valve is set really low,1 bubble every 5 seconds.

HeatherB
10-16-2010, 03:37 AM
a DIY kit is a 'do it yourself'. Most people use 2 liter plastic soda bottles, airline tubing, a gatorade bottle.

You can google DIY CO2 and should come up with lots of results. If you look under the DIY section of the forum you should find it too.

William
10-16-2010, 02:26 PM
HeatherB is correct. It is very easy to build yourself and cost next to nothing to run. The most important part is that you use a soft plastic bootle and never ever a glas bottle. Can explode.

Simply fit a tube through the the lid of the bottle (make sure it don¨t leak)
put the other end of the tube into the tank. A diffusor stone at the end helps but is not necessary. After that fill two thrids of the bottle with water. add a little yeast and a little sugar. The process will start and after a week or two your new system will produce co2 for the tank. You can see it working by the fact that the pressure rises in the bottle (it becomes harder) after that you just need to add sugar on a regular basis to keep everything running.