PDA

View Full Version : Planted tanks; World competition. WOW!

Crispy
10-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Check out the best of the best from this year's comp. Makes me wish I could grow an aquatic plant. :ssmile:

http://acuariorosa.com/2010/08/10/the-international-aquatic-plants-layout-contest-2010/

Brhino
10-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I can't help but notice none of them have an arowana, that could have something to do with it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Actually I don't see any fish in those tanks bigger than a small tetra. I like my planted tank, but I like having fish in there too!

WhiteDevil
10-14-2010, 11:55 PM
2nd,7th and 9th from top to bottom I am going to attempt, Maybe the 1st one in my 210, the others in my 52.

promise
10-15-2010, 02:06 AM
When i was deciding how i wanted my 55g to look i had visions of no1, i found loads of straight pieces of driftwood and then they wouldn't sink so i got annoyed and didn't bother trying anymore :hmm3grin2orange:

some awesome looking tanks in there and some serious inspiration.

DrNic
10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Those are AWESOME layouts!!

When I look closely I notice that I've seen most of those layouts done by Takashi Amano more than a decade ago. He was way ahead of his time and clearly doesn't get credit anymore. I also have a real problem with the winner. The wood in that tank still has bark on it. If that tank was left to run long term it would just rot out and look miserable. Maybe it's treated or something but it seems like it should have been taken into account.

WhiteDevil
10-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Those are AWESOME layouts!!

When I look closely I notice that I've seen most of those layouts done by Takashi Amano more than a decade ago. He was way ahead of his time and clearly doesn't get credit anymore. I also have a real problem with the winner. The wood in that tank still has bark on it. If that tank was left to run long term it would just rot out and look miserable. Maybe it's treated or something but it seems like it should have been taken into account.
not only do I still follow his works in aquatics but his nature photography is even better then some of his scapes. Heck 70's and 80's 90% of the pics in natgeo were his.
If you look at his builds they are all very simple in design he just has a much better eye for it because of what he see's in the jungles and on his trips.
I got his altum tank as my wallpaper on the pc.

SunSchein89
10-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Wow... makes my tanks look like garbage. I want to know where they get all that cool wood and rocks at.

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I can't help but notice none of them have an arowana, that could have something to do with it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Actually I don't see any fish in those tanks bigger than a small tetra. I like my planted tank, but I like having fish in there too!

Or a filter, heater, pump, temperature gauge or light. LOL These are simply non-inhabited home but beautiful. I want my fish!

jonny5
10-17-2010, 08:08 PM
While Takashi Amano may have done alot of those layouts before, i disagree that he doesnt get any credit anymore. He is still the most well know and respected aquascaper.

I really love the 1rst place winner though, even if the bark rots and makes it look bad later one. Right now it is gorgeous, its like the underwater version of a temperate rainforest. Funny how the underwater scapes can so sureally replicate terrestrial settings.