PDA

View Full Version : goodbeye to my Black Lancers

Gisela
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Had to bring my two black asian upside-down catfish to my local LFS. Bought them at Walmart for $5.00 and they were hardly 1.5 in than. Well, they didn't kill each other in the 125 g, but one was the dominant one (6 in), so the second one was more in his cave (5 in). They have to go each one to a large tank with tough fish, like larger chichlids etc. I was just afraid they would harm my other fish, like my red/blue colombian tetras and rainbows. The bigger one was already fighting my clown loaches over pellets. Didn't get any money for them, but all I want is them to get in a good home.

HeyNow
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Aww that is too bad. I am suprised WalMart sells them! I have only seen them in LFSs.

I have one, he is pretty big, about 10inches and fat...I had him in a 224g tank with Redtail cats. I moved him to my 125g tank when the Red tails were big enough to eat him. I don't have the RTC's anymore, but I still have the upside down cat.

He isn't aggressive towards the other fish I have in the tank, but putting small fish in there is out of the question- he'd eat them. He is in with Angel fish, 2 common plecos and 1 royal, some polka dot loaches, hoplo cats, flagtail port hole cats, corys, and SAE's.

Sometimes he and my royal pleco will get snippy with each other- but its always the royal that starts it. The upside down cat will be lounging in one of the sword plants and the royal plec will come over and bother him and chase him around. Its not all the time though- and they never hurt each other.

Gisela
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
I think Walmart got them by mistake, all they told me was they are upside-down catfish. Well, I got them because they were selling everything before they renovated their fishtanks. I only knew about the regular upside-down cats. Went back on the weekend to my LFS and one got already a new home. They told me that they go pretty fast, people actually looking for them.

mermaidwannabe
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
That's always nice when pets can be rehomed in what is (hopefully) a knowledgable and loving home. We try to keep them if we can -- it's not always possible, despite best intentions. Glad you have a good LFS to take them to.-- mermaid

Sursion
11-02-2010, 08:13 AM
My Walmart doesn't even sell fish anymore :\

KatzeSlaugen
11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
My Walmart doesn't even sell fish anymore :\
you should be happy! walmart should not sell live animals...period. their staff is horribly lacking both in knowledge and presence and everytime i pass the fish section theres dozens and dozens of dead fish, colored blood parrots, tattoed blood parrots, colored / tattooed mollys/tetras/basically any fish they can draw a heart on they do.

sorry for the rant walmart just makes me angry (blush)

teddscau
11-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I hate how Walmart always leaves the lights on in the fish section! One time when I went there, they had taken all the dead fish out of the tanks, but left them in the sink. They must have been left in the sink for several hours, because the way they smelled you would think they were hiding a body somewhere!