PDA

View Full Version : RCS trauma!

thedeanorama
10-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I picked up 6 of these little guys yesterday and they spent the day poking through leaves and gravel happily munching away.

I had the skimmer on through the day to clean up some of the plant debris in the water and didnt think anything of it (example of my skimmer, its on the upper left of the tank):
http://dasphoto.ca/uploads/tank/day17front.jpg

And the intake without it:
http://dasphoto.ca/uploads/tank/day18front.jpg

When I woke up this morning all 6 of the new RCS where in there being agitated around and around (I could actually hear them clattering in there). I of course took the skimmer away immediately and they all took off but for one who decided to stay near the surface for a bit, I moved him around and he finally swam to the bottom of the tank but layed there for a minute or 2 on his back before getting upright and staring at me with a stunned expression. As best as I can tell the other 5 came out of it a little better off (although one of the long antenna on a different one is now about 1/2 its size ... poor lil guy).

A) What were they doing on the surface, do they visit the surface now and again once the lights go out? Needless to say the skimmer is now a limited use, lights on only tool.

B) Should I expect 6x dead shrimp by the end of the day or do they rebound from things like this?

Finding them in the tank all at once is near impossible, most I've been able to see at once is 4 so I have no idea if all 6 are doing well or not ... shrimp rol-lcall is not an easy thing to do.

All in all, not the ideal 1st night for the lil guys.

rich311k
10-13-2010, 04:32 PM
They will swim all over. I hope they recover for you. Things like that happen and you learn a new thing.

thedeanorama
10-13-2010, 08:14 PM
They seem to be doing okay, though they are currently sticking to the bottom of the tank now, even with the lights off. I managed to even count 5 of them at once which is more than I've been able to see in a single counting so far.

Sarkazmo
10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
You can use a black nylon stocking to cover the teeth of the overflow to keep that from happening.

RCS are pretty tough little shrimp though. As long as the chemistry of the water's good they can pretty much survive anything to an extent. I've read many stories of keepers finding them in their filters and them having been IN the filter for MONTHS. Heh, they're cool little guys. You might want to add more shrimp if you're hoping to get them breeding and have a self sustaing colony. A couple dozen is usually a good starting amount for a small tank. With a 12G tank you could sustain over a hundred shrimp easily.

Sark

thedeanorama
10-14-2010, 02:20 AM
You can use a black nylon stocking to cover the teeth of the overflow to keep that from happening.

RCS are pretty tough little shrimp though. As long as the chemistry of the water's good they can pretty much survive anything to an extent. I've read many stories of keepers finding them in their filters and them having been IN the filter for MONTHS. Heh, they're cool little guys. You might want to add more shrimp if you're hoping to get them breeding and have a self sustaing colony. A couple dozen is usually a good starting amount for a small tank. With a 12G tank you could sustain over a hundred shrimp easily.

Sark

Wow, I've been using AqAdvisor to work on my tank stock, and it places the tank loading at about 13% for a mere 24. I dont want to overload the tank as I still would like to add a few more fish. My filtration is over and above but my % loading is what I've been paying attention to.

Sarkazmo
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah, RCS have a really low bioload per shrimp. Even with a breeding colony you only need a tiny bit of food every three or four days. Great little shrimp they are.

Sark