PDA

View Full Version : aeration needed for 12g?

thedeanorama
10-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Yup, yet another question from me. I was told by the LFS at the time of purchase that I wouldn't need any for this tank.

As usual I'm starting to second guess now. I have the nozzle pointing downwards into the tank as we will eventually be adding a Betta and didn't want all the current to sit at the surface. Because of this, the surface of the water isn't really agitated at all. Should I consider an airstone as an addtion or am I just getting myself worked up? You can see the setup here and as you can see, even though there is a bit of a swirling current at the top, its not "agitated":

http://dasphoto.ca/uploads/tank/day18front.jpg

Also, for such a small tank, there seems to be a LOT of current (106gph is the pump's rating). Should I be stifling that a bit? The pump itself is not adjustable but I could put some foam or something in front of the intake.

Fishguy2727
10-13-2010, 01:31 AM
I would look into getting something to split the output. Loc-Links are available with splitters so you could have one pointed down and one pointed up. I always run air stones on all my freshwater tanks so unless you are adding CO2 gas I would add an air stone.

jmueller
10-13-2010, 01:48 AM
A whisper pump and an air stone wont cost you more than 20 bucks. IMO.. i think the bubbles look great, and add just another "pop" to the tank. Furthermore, if you dont already have a moonlight, some air stones/bubble wands have built in LEDs that shine from under water.

for example, although more expensive than a normal bubble wand or air stone.

http://www.amazon.com/MarineLand-LED-BUBBLE-WAND-BLUE/dp/B0036C221E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1286934467&sr=8-1

jmueller
10-13-2010, 01:49 AM
And sorry i didnt read your sig.. apparently you already have a moonlight... Oh well, this might be helpful research for someone in the future.

thedeanorama
10-13-2010, 02:28 AM
I would look into getting something to split the output. Loc-Links are available with splitters so you could have one pointed down and one pointed up. I always run air stones on all my freshwater tanks so unless you are adding CO2 gas I would add an air stone.

I do have a CO2 canister (http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=118&PROD_ID=01076900020101) and my CO2 testing is showing that I'm in the proper ppm range.

I did a search for loc-links but came up dry (so to speak).

Sarkazmo
10-13-2010, 02:49 AM
What's the current stocking for the tank?

If you're running CO2 then you'll be causing a lot more of it to be off gassed at the surface if you're using aeration. If your CO2 level's in the green then I wouldn't mess with it. If there's any agitation (the more agitation the more O2/CO2 exchange) at the surface you're exchanging O2 and most likely you won't 'need' any extra aeration. If the tank's sole resident is to be a Betta this will even be less of a concern as Betta get the majority of their O2 at the surface using their labyrinth organ. If this is really bothering you there's always the option of getting an O2 Test Kit to read the amount of dissolved O2 in the water. Generally as long as you're not overdosing with CO2 you'll be just fine.

Sark

thedeanorama
10-13-2010, 03:24 AM
What's the current stocking for the tank?

If you're running CO2 then you'll be causing a lot more of it to be off gassed at the surface if you're using aeration. If your CO2 level's in the green then I wouldn't mess with it. If there's any agitation (the more agitation the more O2/CO2 exchange) at the surface you're exchanging O2 and most likely you won't 'need' any extra aeration. If the tank's sole resident is to be a Betta this will even be less of a concern as Betta get the majority of their O2 at the surface using their labyrinth organ. If this is really bothering you there's always the option of getting an O2 Test Kit to read the amount of dissolved O2 in the water. Generally as long as you're not overdosing with CO2 you'll be just fine.

Sark

I wasn't sure where my levels were so I got myself a co2 test kit today and it's in the green.

Stocking will be the 6x cherry shrimp that went in today, a school of around 7 tetras will go in tomorrow (and maybe 2x amonos if i can find some) then once things balance out in a week or so a fem betta and possibly some otos after that.

I'd feel a little better if I saw some pearling but I've been stingy with the lighting this last week. I ran a split for about 7 hours today and will do 8 tomorrow. I'm gun-shy with he algae (see last weeks journal). But I seem to have beaten it now. Even though I'm running the proper lights it's a concern due to 4wpg.

Sarkazmo
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
You may see some minor pearling but the pics you see of of plants covered in bubbles is usually the result of a much higher wattage, not length of exposure. Eight hours is a great starting point. Monitor the tank closely and watch for algae then go up or down from there in exposure time.

I have to say I'm concerned about the stocking. The RCS are very sensitive to ammonia and stocking 7 Tetra at once may spike the ammonia. Maybe add them a little slower, like maybe 3 a week? It's also quite likely that the Betta will kill and eat most if not all the shrimp. Provide TONS of cover if you want the RCS to survive. Good luck at let us know how it turns out.

Sark