PDA

View Full Version : Did my pleco take a bite out of my goldfish's tail?

LoveMyBlackMoor
10-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I bought a pleco (wich I then realized I dont want as it will be too large for my tank) and put him in with my goldfish...all was fine for 2 weeks and then i noticed that my black moor had chunks of his tail missing!! The only thing I can think of that might have happened is that the pleco (the only new addition to my goldie/snail tank) must have taken a couple of bites.
Has anyone else had this happen? I removed the pleco and am trying to figure out what to do with him...bought him at WalMart and doubt they will take him back.

Cristoff
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I haven't heard of them fin nipping, but Plecos have been known to attach to the side of slow moving fish and suck on the slime coat.

Once they get a taste of it good luck getting them to stop! I had to remove my pleco from my goldfish tank for that very reason.

Rehoming a pleco can be difficult and I doubt seriousley that Walmart would allow a return. Best of luck though!

HeatherB
10-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I have heard of plecos liking the slime coat too. Especially if they are hungry. What are you feeding him?

You probably cannot return him to Walmart. Actually you could, but I am sure he would either be flushed or not cared for properly (left at customer service in a bag until an associate took him to the tanks)

If you have a Petco near you, I know they will take it as an 'adoption' fish. Some LFS may let you trade it in towards credit on another fish or merchandise.

CassieLEO
11-06-2010, 04:56 AM
I used to have a Jack Dempsey that used to pick on my Pleco. (who is like 3 times his size mind you...) and one day I came home and was horrified that my pleco had attached himself to the side of my Jack and was sucking away...Well I got him off of Jack, and Jack had a raw red spot for about 4-5 days where the Pleco had sucked on him. Jack never bothered that pleco again. I think the Pleco just got sick of it, and took care of it LOL!!