PDA

View Full Version : What plants is Flourish Excel safe on?

Excellence
10-11-2010, 07:29 AM
All I did was give one small bottle cap of the liquid Co2, and when I came home from work some of the amazon leave edges are black!

Bought 2 bottles of the adorable butterflies. How safe is this to use? It's only a 90L tank. What plants can I use it in?

Lab_Rat
10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
They sell bottled butterflies in Australia?

smaug
10-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I always preffered using the bottled ugly oppossum,my dwarf lilys just do fantastic with it.

Excellence
10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
T'was I a pirate there'd be plank walking amongst thee.

I quickly buried the amazon sword in a pot of fertiliser and emplaced it in the gravel. I wasn't going to do that until my new tank was set up but it seems to have helped emeraldise the leaves a little.

I've been looking at plant types and have decided anubias nana could be good for baby fish as they cover the ground the way a soldier holds a shield, providing a little enclosure so to speak.

Will Excel damage these plants?

Aude
10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
If I remember correctly Exel can harm anacharis, riccia and some vals.

Lab_Rat
10-11-2010, 08:49 PM
T'was I a pirate there'd be plank walking amongst thee.
Say what?

I quickly buried the amazon sword in a pot of fertiliser and emplaced it in the gravel. I wasn't going to do that until my new tank was set up but it seems to have helped emeraldise the leaves a little.
You put the plant in straight fertilizer? Be ready for your nitrates to go through the roof if that is truly what you did.

I've been looking at plant types and have decided anubias nana could be good for baby fish as they cover the ground the way a soldier holds a shield, providing a little enclosure so to speak. Anubias are not a ground cover plant. I have no idea what soldiers and shields have to do with plants...

Will Excel damage these plants? If you're referring to anubias, I have not had problems with Excel and anubias. I did not have problems with sword plants either. If you had issues with the sword plant I'd guess you dosed it too high initially.

Excellence
10-12-2010, 07:21 AM
I will explain my post...

The way anubia nana leaves look is like a shield beingheld by a soldier. Providing a cosy shelter ground dwellers like corys and fry can swim inside.

The dose wasn't high. One miniscule cap, barely a few mililitres. I'm reluctant to use the Excel again, and I bought 2 bottles of the lads.

This business with nitrates soaring... tell me about it. What's wrong with the idea of putting an amazon sword basket in a ceramic pot that has a plant tab and a bit of fertiliser pellets that look like little pink balls?

I thought the roots would be getting the nutrients directly.

This was one of my major innovative ideas for my new tank. You strongly disagree?

Lady Hobbs
10-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm on the fence with Excel. I've had losses with it, plants and fish, so now I use it only when I think I have to (fortunately very seldom) but I have also had mishaps when using DIY CO2.

When I dose Excel now, I add it to tank water or add it to a bucket when topping off my tank. It killed my top swimmers but I think it hadn't mixed up enough and the fish swam right thru it. I also only dose what's recommended.

I don't know about java moss. I need to find out if it will hurt that before I use it again. Someone recently stated here he dosed at 8x the recommended dose. Now that's just a bit ridiculous and I doubt any fish survived that ordeal. The stuff is poison, ya know! sheesh*