PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filters...

zackish
06-22-2007, 03:12 AM
After looking online and seeing canister filters that did 250 GPH for $80 and then ones for $110 that only did 150 I started to do some thinking.
Am I correct in saying that the ones that are more expenisve but less GPH have more options as far as filter media and compartments to put the pads and such in?
So it might be just as good to have something with less GPH than something with more because it may have better filtration?

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2007, 04:16 AM
in some ways yes, but you do have to draw the line at some point

Fishguy2727
06-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Don't focus too much on gph. There are a lot of things that can affect the price. One is the source. One site may have a filter at $120, while another site has the exact same filter at $180. Another thing is the brand. As with anything, somes brands are a lot more expensive. In general you get what you pay for. Fluval is good, but (according to everyone who has one) Eheim is hands down the best. Eheim is expensive though and I have never felt it necessary to spend that much on a canister, I stick with Fluval. Don't pay as much attention to gph, but rather capacity rating. Focus on how many gallons the filter claims it can handle, and cut that in half.

Greg Menke
06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Also be aware that all the filters will work about the same- one vendor's sponge is the same as another's. The difference is in the materials & ergonomics of the filter. Ease of media change and noise are also a difference. If you have particular filtering needs (getting out fog or green water), then none of the regular cannisters will help much. For that you need media that is specifically rated down to particles that size (<20 microns)- I believe some of the units with pleated paper filters will achieve it, I guess the diatom media will work too.

I have an Eheim, the materials are nice but its no better than a hang-on-tank Aquaclear 70 for filtering, though it does move more water and its quiet (no waterfall). I was finally able to make it effective on cloudy water by adding a 5-10 micron whole-house filter unit after the Eheim, it cuts flow by 25% or so, so adding a dedicated pump for that filter to make it a water "polisher" is probably needed. You can get .5-1 micron filter units for the whole-house filters but those will need a real pump- they cut water flow quite a bit.

No matter what cannister you buy, don't get sucked into "official" filter media- go to a craft store and buy bulk bags of pillow stuffing "poly fill", and use that instead. It works better, lasts longer and is vastly cheaper.

Greg

nanaglen2001
06-22-2007, 03:39 PM
No matter what cannister you buy, don't get sucked into "official" filter media- go to a craft store and buy bulk bags of pillow stuffing "poly fill", and use that instead. It works better, lasts longer and is vastly cheaper.

Greg

Absolutely correct statement:ezpi_wink1:

Fishguy2727
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree for fine mechanical, but for biological I will pay for Biomax. It works and provides a ton of surface area for nitrifying bacteria. And since you only have to buy it once it's no big deal.

nanaglen2001
06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I had to clean my "tiny" canister filter today, and I just took a pic to show you guys an Eheim 2250

Its concipated for tanks up to 1,200 litres.

This fellow cleans my tank together with another filter made for tanks up to 400 litres.

And my tank only has a volume of 450 litres.

When you keep messy cichlids, 2 filtres are just enough.

gm72
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
WOW, what a filter! Very cool. I don't think we can get those here in the States. Never seen one before, thanks for sharing.

gm72
06-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Also be aware that all the filters will work about the same- one vendor's sponge is the same as another's. The difference is in the materials & ergonomics of the filter. Ease of media change and noise are also a difference. If you have particular filtering needs (getting out fog or green water), then none of the regular cannisters will help much. For that you need media that is specifically rated down to particles that size (<20 microns)- I believe some of the units with pleated paper filters will achieve it, I guess the diatom media will work too.

I have an Eheim, the materials are nice but its no better than a hang-on-tank Aquaclear 70 for filtering, though it does move more water and its quiet (no waterfall). I was finally able to make it effective on cloudy water by adding a 5-10 micron whole-house filter unit after the Eheim, it cuts flow by 25% or so, so adding a dedicated pump for that filter to make it a water "polisher" is probably needed. You can get .5-1 micron filter units for the whole-house filters but those will need a real pump- they cut water flow quite a bit.

Greg

Greg, depends a lot on what Eheim to which you are comparing the 70. The Eheim 2026 and 2028 for example have a MUCH more significant amount of biofiltration capacity than the 70.

The poly fill is indeed cheaper for mechanical but doesn't have anywhere near the surface area as filter media like Ehfisynth and Biomax.

nanaglen2001
06-26-2007, 06:19 AM
I pack my canisters the following way:

on the bottom some sort of clay tubes (they work similar to those plastic balls I think you can call biomax (???)). Lots of surface on which bacteria can settle.

Then comes a layer of semi fine filter matt.

Then comes a layer of Zeolith. Every 2 cleaning sessions I regenerate that stuff with salt, so the Zeolith can absorb the phosphate and nitrate. Even not regenerated its fine in the filter, it filters mechanicaly and is a good place for more baceteria to settle.

And last again a layer of that filtration matt.

Finis

Man, yesterday I had to clean that pott (it has a volume of 12 litres). Man afterwards I had to almost renovate my bathroom..whaaaa.

gm72
06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Wow. I want one.

zackish
06-27-2007, 04:16 AM
To be honest I was looking at the filstar filters because I have read good reviews on them and they seem pretty inexpensive compared to other...within reason.

cocoa_pleco
06-27-2007, 04:31 AM
lol, my RESUN canister (chinese one that was a pain to setup) has TOO many media slots. i never thought the day would come when id say that. it has 8 media places. i have fine sponges in 2, coarse in 1, 2 ceramic ring, 2 bio-ball ones, and 1 carbon one. i just used carbon since its not planted and no fish in there are susceptible to HITH

zackish
06-27-2007, 04:51 AM
I think tomorow a guy at my work is finally giving me his canister filter for free. He used to be into aquariums and said he would give me his old one, he just hasn't had the time to dig it out.
It's older but hopefully with a good cleaning it should do the trick. Even if it's loud I don't care cuz my aquarium is downstairs.

jweintraub
06-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Nanaglen, I'm going to have to remember to keep you in mind when I leave germany in March 2009 since BOTH of my tanks are set-up on 220v. Just one more excuse to buy new equipment instead of worrying about step-up transformers when I get back to the states.

cocoa_pleco
06-27-2007, 05:10 AM
if i can get a transformer, i want to get at least 3 canister filters when im in europe late july to late august. foreign canister filters sound cool. i also have about 600$ spending money for europe, and i already got it changed to european dollars, and i dont plan on buying anything else, so it works out

zackish
06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
You should be able to get adapters easily, here or in Europe. I would try big hardware stores like Home Depot.

marcryan11
06-29-2007, 07:50 PM
another thing to consider is that Petsmart's website is WAY less than the stores. We have purchased 3 Rena XP3s all for 104 a piece. In the store they are 180.

There are some smaller ones for less money, but I have never seen more than 1 media pack for them. Whereas the Rena are baskets to do whatever you want with.

Fishguy2727
06-29-2007, 08:32 PM
You can get Petsmart's online price in the store, just print it out and bring it in.