PDA

View Full Version : frizzed tail! HELP

ren
06-21-2007, 11:48 PM
ok my hubbys betta is in a 5g filtered, heated aquarium. and up until this afternoon he was pristine, but all of the sudden his tail is in shreds! and his dorsal fin is practically a stump! though his anal fins are untouched. i noticed he was hidding in his cave when i looked in on him...did he do it to himself? is there something i can give him? he's a good eater, very social likes to see movement on the outside, hes very curious which made me wonder when i saw him inside his cave. HELP NEED TO HEAL!!!!!

troy
06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
I know your betta probably doesn't, but does it have any tank mates.

ren
06-22-2007, 12:06 AM
no...no tank mates. we've had him for over a month. he's still active, still eating vigorously...poor thing, what can i do?

troy
06-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Possibly he saw a reflection of himself on something , and he went crazy.

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2007, 02:08 AM
i think he has fin rot. do more water changes and add melafix and pimafix

SkarloeysMom
06-22-2007, 03:17 AM
If your water is good and this happened overnight it doesn't seem like it would be fin rot. When Skarloey had fin rot it happened so slowly that I really didn't realize it was happening until I looked at an earlier pic I had taken.

Do you have fake plants that he could have gotten caught up? Is there anywhere else in the tank that he could have gotten hung up? It does sound like he may have done it to himself.

I think I'd go with the Melafix too.

bscman
06-22-2007, 04:54 AM
+1 on probably having done it to himself.
Fin rot usually shows up slowly over a few days time.

Plastic plants and sharp plastic decorations wreak havoc on big fins.
Silk or real plants would be a much better choice.

ren
06-23-2007, 01:02 AM
he doesn't have any sharp objects, and he has real plants. we got some meds for him i'll keep you posted...if he did it himself he is still doing it, he looked considerably worse today.

SkarloeysMom
06-23-2007, 05:08 PM
can you post a picture?

tropfish
06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
This happened to one of my bettas before. Its fins started disinegrating for what seemed like no reason. I did daily water changes and it slowly started to recover.

tropfish
06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
I still don't know why or how it happened

ren
06-24-2007, 02:20 PM
well the medicine has stoped it from getting worse but it doesn't say how often to medicate?
it is "splendid betta" betta fix remedy from aquarium pharmaceuticals.