View Full Version : Gray Tape?

10-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I've bought a few plants for my aquarium, and they all come with this gray wire tape wrapped around the roots to keep the group together. I call it "tape" but it's not sticky. It almost seems like it's got wire embedded, and it holds its shape, but I have to assume that it's aquarium safe.

I'd like to buy some of this tape so I can regroup my plants, but I don't know what it's called or where to buy it. Can anyone tell me what term to google, or just point me to a good place to buy it online?

10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
the only thing i can suggest is maybe looking up the maker of the plants and they may have an "about us" section that may reveal what they use, but i doubt it. Good luck!

10-10-2010, 12:15 AM
well,you don't want to keep your plants bunched together like the way you get them or they will rot.They are likely stem plants and they should be planted singularly a few inches apart.The way I do it is to cut that tape in small pcs about a half inch long.I then wrap it once around the base of the stem about an inch from the bottom after removing any leaves for about the last 2 inches.It is difficult to keep stem plants anchored at first especially of you have active fish.In that case use small stones at the base of each stem to keep it there.It is also best to have the stems inserted in the gravel at an angle of about 30- 45 deg or so.Can you post a pic of the plants you have/Btw,that tape is likely plastic wrapped tin or lead.

10-10-2010, 02:58 AM
+1 for plastic wrapped lead, and depending on how long it has been there it may actually stop the roots from growing below the "tape" IME