PDA

View Full Version : Betta tank mates?

PandaLUV
10-09-2010, 07:40 AM
thinking about getting a Betta for my 20g tank. iv read that corys go pretty well with bettas and dont get attacked or harrased to much by the betta. but i was wondering if there was any middle dwellers (preferably small fish like tetras) that go well with bettas? i plan to introduce the betta last, but is there any other techniques to lower the bettas temper towards the other fish? i also plan on getting a Dragon betta, if that will affect anything?
ty for your time

s72450
10-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I've never heard of a Dragon Betta so my advice might not work, but I've always kept my Betta fish with corys. They go well together. I've never had a problem, but as always with bettas, watch and see how they react to the other tank mates.
I'm not sure about tetras with a betta. I don't know if they would nip at the bettas fins or not. I honestly have not had much luck when it came to adding tank mates with bettas aside from the cories.
If you do give the whole 20g tank to the betta and a school of cories, it would be awesome, you could have probably ten or so which would look cool. You might also want to consider planting a tank of that size. I put one of my bettas in a planted 55g while I was waiting on other fish and he loved it and played in the plants all day.
Good luck!

Ashton
10-09-2010, 02:29 PM
The only difference between a dragon and an ordinary Betta is that a dragon's scales are so thick you can't see the colour underneath, so they are always very pale. The last one I had was a Plakat and he was a great, but he did live on his own.

I would never put Tetras in with a Betta as they are all potential fin nippers. Rasboras could be better, but if the Betta is in first, you'll probably have problems getting him used to them.

Corries are ideal, and Oto's are great as well, other than that I wouldn't put any other fish in.

korith
10-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Will greatly depend on the temperament of the betta. Some will coexist with other fish, some are very territorial. I would avoid adding any fish with a lot of colourful finnage.

Aeonflame
10-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Long flowing fins also may be seen as a territorial threat and may incite agression in a betta. Male fancy guppies a definite no no.

SmokeyCFH
10-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I had a betta in with a mickey mouse platie, and some ghost catfish and they all seemed to get along fairly well.

hamza_bukhari
10-10-2010, 02:51 AM
I think I have a betta, who thinks hes a guppy...XD

I have him with three fancy guppies, they get along fine...:D

I wouldnt recommend you doing that, it really depends on the bettas character...

sheamurai
10-10-2010, 04:14 AM
I had rasboras with my bettas and never any issues...larger tank tho.

PandaLUV
10-10-2010, 04:34 AM
wow. thanks for all the replies, didnt expext so many so quikly.
well the tank is pretty spacious, i have some nice pieces of driftwood and plan to make it plants with mostly anubias and java fern, maybe some swords. i really wanted the tetras to be more of a dither fish, (but at the same time im not sure if dither fish are only used for cichlids), not necesaraly i fish to look at, so it doesnt matter what species it is, just a good dither fish would be cool to have in the tank. any suggestions? (try to be specific plz)

thanks heaps for all the info guys, great help.

Sarkazmo
10-10-2010, 04:49 PM
The only difference between a dragon and an ordinary Betta is that a dragon's scales are so thick you can't see the colour underneath, so they are always very pale.

This is incorrect. Dragon Betta have scales that look like they're plated in metal. The effect is typically iridescent. Dragon Betta come in all colours and fin types and are not typically pale though there are pale ones available.

Sark

sp00f
10-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I had a particularly vicious betta who lived happily with a little school of white clouds*, killed absolutely anything else I put in the tank including snails. As always ymwv.

* the pet store said they were white clouds but a google search returns much more colorful fish. These were very boring, basic silver-colored minnows, like bait fish, not the colorful variety you'll get in a gis.

Lab_Rat
10-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Tank mates for bettas are very dependent on the individual betta. Avoid nippy fish, the deep bodied tetras tend to be nippier than the narrow bodied ones. Also, CT bettas seem to be more aggressive than the VTs. I would not attempt a plakat in a community tank. Right now I've got a VT betta in my community tank and he's doing well. I've also got another CT betta in a 2.5g that I would not dare put in a community tank as I think he'd tear the fish up.

Fish I've had success as tankmates for bettas:
Guppies (make sure you have the proper female to male ratio so the males don't try to mate with the betta and piss him off)
Platies (same as guppies, make sure you have the proper ratio)
Endlers (same as guppies)
Rummynose tetras
Cardinal tetras

PandaLUV
10-11-2010, 06:03 AM
thanks heaps guys.
i dont think i told you, but it is a pretty large tank, and im only gona have 8 tetras or whatever to avoid overstocking. thanks for the advice on the plakats btw.

korith
10-11-2010, 07:19 AM
thanks heaps guys.
i dont think i told you, but it is a pretty large tank, and im only gona have 8 tetras or whatever to avoid overstocking. thanks for the advice on the plakats btw.

Give it a shot and see what happens. Add the betta in last.

teddscau
11-16-2010, 02:20 AM
You might be able to keep cardinal tetras with a betta. My cardinals are never nippy with anyone.