PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Pleco

PrettyCory
10-08-2010, 05:29 PM
We have bought and replaced three rubber plecos (that is what the store calls them) and they never survive. We are not sure what is going on; the people at the Pet Store have been careless and dropped the big rock they hide under while trying to net them. Is this why they die within a week of them coming home? I am not going to buy fish from that store as I do not like the way they are treating the animals. Anyone that has kept these guys and knows any helpful info, please comment.
:help:

Brhino
10-08-2010, 05:43 PM
can you provide more information about your tank they have been in, such as:

tank size
water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates)
water change routine
filtration used
list of all fish in the tank
live plants? real driftwood?
feeding (what food, how much, how often)
other fish deaths in the same tank?
acclimation technique (what exactly you do when you put a new fish in the tank)

That will help us identify if there are any likely issues with your tank, or if it was more likely a problem before you got them.

Trillianne
10-08-2010, 05:49 PM
To add to what Brhino asked about...

Do you have visible algae in the tank you are putting them in?
If so what does it look like
If not, what are you feeding them?

Brhino
10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I thought about that, but unless the fish were starving already (which is a possibility), they should last more than a week in a tank even with nothing to eat.

Trillianne
10-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I thought about that, but unless the fish were starving already (which is a possibility), they should last more than a week in a tank even with nothing to eat.

I yield the floor to the man who still has his marbles ;)

SmokeyCFH
10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I had one that I got from petsmart, it was fine for a long time til my cichlid fry got big enough to eat it. I'd say start from scratch, let the tank cycle and give it another shot.

PrettyCory
10-10-2010, 07:34 PM
tank size: 55 gal.
water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates) Never below the two top colors on the testing chart (test day after every water change)
water change routine (at least once a week or if the color on the test chart goes into the second color)
filtration used (Penguin BioWheel 350)
list of all fish in the tank (1 Vampire Pleco, 1 Lace Catfish, 1 (Sweet Male) Beta, 6 Danio, 4 Apple Snails
live plants? real driftwood? Only 7 silk plants, 1 cave, 2 large ships
feeding (what food, how much, how often) TetraBeta Floating Mini Pellets, Hikari Tropical Mico Wafers, Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets, Freeze Dried San Francisco Brine Shrimp, Freeze Dried Tetra Blood Worms, TetraAlgea Vegetable Enhanced Crisps, Hikari Tropical Algae Wafers, Tetra Veggie Algae Wafers, Hikari Sinking Wafers for Bottom Feeders and we fed Beta Flakes but the dog got a hold of the can and finished them off! We also alternate what we feed to make sure they get a variety. We feed some before we turn out the lights to make sure the bottom (shy) feeders will have something to eat. I bought some dried krill or shrimp and the snails seem to really go crazy for that (and not surprising after reading up on them on the Apple Snail site). I attempt to educate myself. We have not tried raw veggies yet, but I have fed the dried seaweed and of course the snails are the ones that sit on top of it and eat it until gone. They are surely the opportunist as the site said. We do have algea and it has started being more lately. We found the seven year old loved feeding the fish or I should say we are guessing since the tank has been looking cloudy.
other fish deaths in the same tank? 0
acclimation technique (what exactly you do when you put a new fish in the tank) Set the bag in the water for 20 minutes; release the fish into a net and then into the water

PrettyCory
10-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I forgot to add that we have two pieces of wood that are the Hardwood from Africa, at least that is what it was sold as. It was in a tank at the store so it had the tanin leached out of it. Our algae is green and it is starting to get dark on the silk flowers. We clean the tank with a vaccum as the one that attaches to the faucet sprayed water all over the floor and did not seem to work as well as the fill and empty the bucket method. We saw that one pulled more of the debris from the gravel than the other method which was to be easier. Appreciate your thoughts on all of this.
I forgot we also feed the Frozen Blood Worms or Shrimp once a week.