PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish are a bloody pain!

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Everyday seems to be a moving day for one angel or another. I have 4 in my 55 gallon with dithers and even this will not bring peace to the tank. Another angel is alone in a 20 gallon, three more in the 29 gallon. By tomorrow this may change again.

I love these fish but they are a royal pain you know where. And some of them have not even reached adulthood yet. I believe if you have 4 in a 500 gallon tank there will still be constant fighting and chasing. And if I had a chance to give some away, could not decide which would go as I love them all equally and would have a hissy-fit if even one died.

What I need to do is buy monster mother amazon swords. These fish need lots of hiding spaces and waiting for a tank to grow plants just isn't getting it. They can not hide in 6 inch plants and can't get away from the blaring light.

I fear this calls for another whole tank make-over. *she sighs*

hungryhound
06-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Don't despair. it will work out eventually. Sorry about the vals. It would have helped if I had not given you all babies.

Hopefully you will find a way to make them all happy and you happy.

nanaglen2001
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
cant you just, for starters, lau yout hand on some big fat roots???

This would give them some hiding places. And on this roots you place javafern.

I whish I could send you some Motherplants, but that darned customs of yours wont let me....

With roots I meanhttp://www.amtra.de/images/Moorkiengross550.jpgthis

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
My vals are looking very good and coming up nicely. The swords I have now are getting there but when they can see each other from across the tank, this causes the problem. Starting with bunch plants was not a smart move for me. This ornery fish need monster plants. LOL

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM
lol, that sucks. my angels have peace in the valley. the 2 small ones stick to eachother and the large one keeps to himself.

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I have wood in the tank but not enough due to so many plants. And have java attached, as well. My plants are just too small yet to offer any cover. The place I bought my last plants from have awesome Mother plants and I will probably re-do this tank with them.

I can easily move many of my smaller plants to another tank. And then......buy more lights. Dang it. But I think this is the best way for me to go. Bigger plants and more wood.

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
lol, buying lights is a PAIN. for the 33g salt i was out forever looking for the proper stuff and everything. then you have to figure out watts etc. THEN, you have to find a proper hood and light size

TracyUK
06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
My angel is a right pain too. He attacks the oscars frequently!! Sometimes the oscars have enough of him and have a go back.

Algenco
06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes they are! I just saw one of mine get it's dorsal fin split.
Also, I've been wanting some Oto's, I received 7 today, they've been in with the Angels for 3 hours , now I have 6

troy
06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Be careful, the otos could get stuck in your angels mouth.

Algenco
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Be careful, the otos could get stuck in your angels mouth.

I saw a few photo's of that problem.

It's a miracle!! The Oto lives! I grabbed it and threw it in my RCS tank, it looked dead, I even prodded it a few times, no movement. Went to town for a few hours and now the Oto is up moving!

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Just wait on those angels, cocoa. When they grow up a bit more, if you have three males they will fight. If you have 3 females they will fight. If you happen to have a pair, the odd one out will end up being chased from sun up to sun down. The only way I see them ever getting along is pairing them up and putting each pair in a separate tank........and destroying the spawn each month or you'll have 3000 of them.

Nick_Pavlovski
06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
...how about using half-flowerpots as caves for them to hide in?

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2007, 02:11 AM
aw, now im regretting angels! too bad you cant sex them. that would fix everyones problems

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2007, 05:55 AM
I think they should all come with a big F or an M tattooed on their head so you can tell male from female. Tonight I had to move one into my 10 gallon that was all beat up. I got them all as juvies and all grew up together, too, but it seems not to matter once they reach maturity.

My two largest are both females and one is just the sweetest thing. The other lives alone......in exile.....due to her total meaness. Go figure.

Nick.....flower pots won't work with angels. They're too big and have that high dorsal fin. They aren't fish that crawl in something to hide.