PDA

View Full Version : Would this be an overstocked 55g?

FishieWishie
10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm getting closer to my final stocking plan for my 55g tank. I thinking of the following list:

5 Bleeding Heart Tetras
1 Red Tail Shark
6 Sterba's Cory
6 Zebra Danios
4 Dalmatian Mollies
5 Praecox Rainbows
4 Siamese Algae Eaters

Would this be an overstocked tank?

Brhino
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
spacewise, it might be a little overstocked, but not too crazy. Do you have a plan for what you'll do with the molly fry, or are you planning on getting all the same gender?

Also, what do you have planned for filtration?

promise
10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Here is a site that alot of people use to determine stocking they have or want to have created by a member on this site

http://aqadvisor.com/

agreed with what Brhino said and without all details……………. we dont know.

FishieWishie
10-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm using a Cascade 1000 canister filter. It is giving plenty of aeration. The tank measures 30"L X 18"W X 23"H. I already have the Bleeding Heart Tetras and the RTS. It is fake planted and has rock caves. I really didn't want to breed the Mollies, but not sure how to sex them.

FishieWishie
10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I was thinking of switching out two of the Dalmatian Mollies for a male Betta. I'd like a center piece fish.

jaysee
10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
4 siamese algae eaters?? I don't think that's a good idea, since they get aggressive when they mature.

I'm not sure about the shark and the corys. Again, RTS are quite territorial when they are grown and may not tollerate the corys.

Brhino
10-07-2010, 06:22 PM
4 siamese algae eaters?? I don't think that's a good idea, since they get aggressive when they mature.

are you sure you're not thinking of chinese algae eaters? I thought siamese are supposed to be pretty peaceful.

Your tank has a slightly smaller footprint and more height than a standard 55g, which makes you somewhat more overstocked than I thought. Also, if you're going to be stocking heavily, I'd overfilter even more than you're planning on now.

FishieWishie
10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
My understanding is that the Siamese Algae Eaters are pretty peaceful and they only get about 4" in lenghth. What if I drop the Praecox Rainbows and drop down to two Dalmatian Mollies and add a male Betta? I've seen conflicting stories about RTSs. I've heard they can be aggressive and I've also heard they can be peaceful, actually sharing their cave with Corys.

promise
10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
SAE's are very peaceful they playfully chase each other but thats all
you are definately thinking of CAE's

Brhino
10-07-2010, 07:10 PM
the male betta could go either way. Sometimes it works, sometimes they kill things. You don't have anything long-finned that the betta might be particularly angry with, so that might improve your chances, but it could still turn out bad.

FishieWishie
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I used the link posted above by Promise (thanks Promise) and the advice was useful. The calculator didn't like the Betta idea with Dalmation Mollies or the RTS. I made some changes and this is what I end up with:

5 Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 Dalmation Mollies
1 RTS
6 Zebra Danios
5 Sterba's Cory
3 Siamese Algae Eaters

With this stocking it says my filtration capacity is at 128%. And the aquarium stocking is at 102%. Still no "center piece" but I can live with that. How does that sound?

Goes to 11!
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure about the shark and the corys. Again, RTS are quite territorial when they are grown and may not tollerate the corys.

+1 on the above and as stated the Betta is really a 50/50 gamble - It all depends on the fish you get.
Even if you get a mellow fellow they can simply snap one day and go on a killing spree. Not being negative, Just saying it does happen.

EDIT: OOPS, I didn't see your changes on the last page of this thread. But I still think the RTS is an eventual risk.

promise
10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
If you want a centre piece fish for that tank why not go down the Angelfish route.

lose the RTS just because they can be very nasty to tank mates and get fairly large,
the cories as big a school as you can get without pushing the limit so yeah 5 or 15
i would not add the SAE until the tank has been running for a while until the Algae has a chance to get going just because you will have to feed with algae cakes otherwise they do however take flake.
the mollies i dont know much about them i had some when i was 15 and didnt have them that long till my cat decided he wanted a snack, have not had them since and now and im 28 so a long time has passed :hmm3grin2orange:

see i would say get a Ram but they are very finicky to water conditions and die very quickly if things are no just right. you could always go the dwarf african cihlid route lots of colour and lots of entertainment to watch.

FishieWishie
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Awwwww, I kinda like the shark. It seems pretty peaceful at this time. I was thinking of going the Angelfish route, but there was a reason I choose not. Off hand I can't recall why. I'll have to look at the Dwarf African Chilids and rethink the Angelfish. Thanks for the feedback.

jaysee
10-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Ooops, I was thinking of CAEs.

I have a betta in a community, so I'm not one to shoot down the idea without considderation, but there's no way I would add a betta to that stock list.