PDA

View Full Version : Hermits mass rehoming

Kerry
10-07-2010, 02:54 AM
After weeks of running the tank with just the rock, water finally tested ok, so I went to the store and grabbed a few hermits. I have had some empty hermit shells and snail shells in the tank with the rock. Within a few hours of getting the crabs home, four of the five have moved into new shells. Is this normal?? Everyone seems happy with there new digs, but it was just odd to see so many of them getting naked and redressed at the same time!

sheamurai
10-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Likely they were at the store for awhile so they had grown into their old shells.
It's odd that 4 of the 5 did it all at once, but I think its all good, lol.

Kerry
10-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Being female, I dont feel guilty saying this at all.. but watching this group is like watching women shop...I have seen them swap shells so many times during the day today that Im not even going to worry about them. I honestly think they look like girls in a dressing room.. its comical at this point. Maybe they just have too many shells to choose from but at least they arent fighting over the same one!

Kerry
10-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Some pictures from the dressing room.

sheamurai
10-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Its good that they feel safe enough to get naked so easily, lol.
Mine (with possible predators swimming around) dart in and out of their shells so fast I hardly see them. I've never seen one swap, but I see them come out in order to right themselves when they fall off rocks and land on their backs. They do it right quick.

Kerry
10-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Rehoming is one of the funniest things Ive seen. After a thorough inspection of there possible new shell, mine flip into the new one.. then back out.. then back in and a wiggle.. sometimes its a good fit, sometimes its not. I have gotten to see a dispute over a shell finally and they are quite naughty when they dont want to give up a potential new shell. Possessive little buggers thats for sure.