PDA

View Full Version : Plants

Concelor
10-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm looking to add some green to my tank but my LFS has failed me for the last time. Last week I bought 3 bunches of a beautiful grass plant, I find out the name they id'ed it by was wrong so know idea what it was. I use past tense because it died within a week, I goto my LFS, and the entire tank of the stuff is brown and dying there. I complain and I get some free sword tails, so in the end it worked out. But 2 questions came up:
1) What's a great mid and fore ground grass type plant that fish could love to swim through and provide some new hidey holes? I have some bunches micro sword that aren't taking off but I hope they will carpet the front part of the tank. I'm hoping the fish like em, I used to have medium vail and they avoided it like the plague poor things keep losing swimming real estate as it grew ot of control.

2)Where's a good place to get plants online? Is it a smart idea to go the online route?, or should I go hunting for a better LFS?

Aude
10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
aquabid.com always has some great deals on practically any plant you can think of. Just review the seller ratings before hand to be safe.

rich311k
10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
You are better off buying them online and from other aquarists. Blyxa japonica may be just what you are looking for.

Australian natives
10-07-2010, 08:04 AM
i love dwarf hair grass =]. i cannot seem to get mine to spread. but it isnt dying either. so i dont mind =P.

Lady Hobbs
10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
All plants depend on the lighting you can provide. Without the right lights for the right plants, they will fail to thrive. Plants will often die off when first planted because they go into shock but will recover and grow again. They also need nutrients from the substrate you use and often you will have time growing anything in gravel.