PDA

View Full Version : moss or mold?

thedeanorama
10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I've fooled myself into thinking I was cultivating an invading moss in the past when it fact it was identified by someone as mold so I thought I would check before I got excited again since I do want some moss in my tank eventually anyways.

This is about an inch and a half long and I've included a dime in the photo to lend it scale:

http://dasphoto.ca/uploads/tank/mossormold.jpg

If anyone can help with an ID on this it would be appreciated, thanks thumbs2:

Wow .. I need to add "King of the run on sentences" into my sig I think!

Brhino
10-06-2010, 08:03 PM
That's definitely a moss. I'd say it's java moss but I'm only saying that because java moss is the only moss I actually have, so maybe it's something different but similar. Definitely a moss, though.

rich311k
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
That is Java moss. Hope it does well for you.

thedeanorama
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
That's definitely a moss. I'd say it's java moss but I'm only saying that because java moss is the only moss I actually have, so maybe it's something different but similar. Definitely a moss, though.

Thanks! This is good news, now hopefully I can get it to grow after kicking the crap out of it to take the picture (blush). I've put it back into the tank, in hopes that it'll grow big enough to utilize on my big piece of driftwood.

smaug
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Dont worry about getting it to regrow.That stuff would grow in a mud puddle.Good picture btw.

thedeanorama
10-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Dont worry about getting it to regrow.That stuff would grow in a mud puddle.Good picture btw.

Thanks, I have a feeling this lens is going to get a good workout with the addition of a tank to the household :)

I'm glad that its a hardy plant, since I was non-too gentle getting back into some substrate since its a floater.

Brhino
10-06-2010, 10:57 PM
it doesn't need to be in the substrate. It will naturally spread out and attach itself to surfaces. You could tie it to your driftwood and let it grow right onto it.

peteyboyny
10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
yeah, definitely looks like java moss. i used tiny black zip-ties to attach it to my driftwood and to one of my rocks. i've even heard staples(supposed to feed the tank as it oxidizes?). don't know if i'd go that far though. definitely a great pic. i'm jealous. good luck with it...it's supposed to grow pretty crazy(i'm sure i'll find out).