PDA

View Full Version : Is my Panda starving?

SkarloeysMom
06-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Yesterday morning I checked my community tank and one of my Pandas looked DEAD! When I tried to net him he started swimming around frantically but would end up laying over on his side looking dead again. I got one of my 1 g tanks and put RO water about 2" deep and put him in. I added a small piece of algae waffer and hoped for the best. He was very still for most of the day but was upright and I did finally see him eating some. Then overnight he finished the waffer and is acting much better today. I added a tiny piece of waffer and he was gobbling that down pretty quick. He does not appear to have any wounds,

I tested my 10g water and it was perfect:
Ammonia - 0
NitrItes - 0
NitrAtes - 10
Ph - 7.0

So here's the question... How can I make sure that the Pandas get enough to eat? I have these guppy girls who eat EVERYTHING in site and harass the Pandas when they are trying to eat the sinking waffers. It really seems like the weaker Panda is not getting enough to eat. I was worried about this when I first got the Pandas and thought they were doing ok but obviously they are not.

I have one female guppy that will literally eat until she looks like she's going to explode! She's the one that does the harassing of the corys. I'm really annoyed with the female guppies. I wonder if I could take the females back to PetSmart and trade them for one male or just give them back. I don't know what else to do with them. They are messing up my peaceful community.

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I often wonder if my panda eats anything as well. I drop in an algae pellet before I shut the lights off for the night and in the morning scoop it back out. He does nothing but sleep in the middle of the tank.

I was able to only get two several months ago and I lost one so this little guy is alone all the time. I think with some company he would do better. It would be nice to have more if they'd swim around and play but if all they do is sleep, I don't want more.

SkarloeysMom
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
My 2 were swimming and playing for a while. They are so cute! (I had them for about a month now) I just noticed in the past week that they were resting more and saw them getting harassed by the guppies. Then one started to hide out. Next thing I know he was looking dead! They are my favorite little guys when they are happy and healthy. I'm so bummed that one is not feeling good but relieved that he's surviving.

I really think they'll do much better once I can get 2 more but I have to do something with the guppies. The store I got the Pandas from is out of them most of the time so I'm waiting. Well, I also need to get the community stabilized before I add anymore.

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Strange the guppies would bother them when they hang at different levels. I have my one guy in with my largest angel. I guess I will buy more, as well. He's probably lonely.

SkarloeysMom
06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I think its strange that the guppies are acting that way too but they are constantly on the hunt for food. They scavange around like catfish most of the time. They are NOT underfed...they are seriously fat. I can't figure out if they've got some disease or if that's the way they are. I've never had guppies before. The male is slim and doesn't seem to be as ravenous as the females. I know the females are PG all the time and maybe that's why they have such huge appetites. I know I was pretty ravenous when I was PG.

Well, my solution thus far is to reintroduce the panda who seems to be feeling much better today (Thank goodness!) Then I netted the two female guppies and put them in my 1g quarrentine tank so they can't bug little panda while he's recouping. Guess I'll just keep changing the water every couple of days until I figure out what to do with them. I'll probably just give them back to PetSmart. Watch 'em both pop out a bunch a fry overnight!

zackish
06-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Are cory's algae eaters or bottom feeders? I was planning on getting a few pandas or serbais for my 30 gal but I was getting them anticipating they were bottom feeders cuz I am already planning on getting a few otto cats to take care of the algae.
Also, do the panda cory's eat the algae tablets?

SkarloeysMom
06-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Corys are bottom feeders and mine do eat algae wafers. I have Otos too and they do very well eating the algae on the glass and plants. They don't seem to be interested in the wafers. Actually I've never seen them eating a wafer but they may sneak some at night. It took quite a while for my Otos to get adjusted to my tank but they seem really happy and active now even during the day.

I'm really amazed that my panda who appeared to be on the verge of death yesterday morning seems to be doing much better now. I would have been so sad to lose him.

zackish
06-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Should I wait a little while before I buy my oto cats that way some algae can actually form in my tank?

SkarloeysMom
06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Definitely yes...Otos seem to been fairly sensitive fish and they need all the help you can give them. I had quite an nice crop of algea growing along the gravel in my tank when I got my Otos and they still took quite a while to start cleaning it off. I'm really not sure what they were living on because I never saw them eat for a couple weeks. It seems like they've made it through the transitition thankfully.