PDA

View Full Version : pearling...

ctruz1110
06-21-2007, 08:14 AM
does anyone's plant successfully pearling like crazy with diy co2?? how?
does all plants pearl (??) or only riccia fluitans??
how do i know if my plants get enough co2??

hungryhound
06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
does anyone's plant successfully pearling like crazy with diy co2?? how?

I have DIY CO2 but have never experienced pearling. Theoretically it is possible, but you would need a strong source of CO2, with high quality tubing and an efficient reactor.

does all plants pearl (??) or only riccia fluitans??

Most plants will pearl, and I have even heard of Algae pearling.

how do i know if my plants get enough co2??

There are a couple ways to determine if your plants are getting enough CO2. Ideally you want your CO2 concentration to be 30 ppm.

1. CO2 Drop checkers ; most expensive and most accurate. A glass tube that you fill with a liquid that turns color in the presence of co2. A nice green means that you are at 30 ppm.

2. KH/ pH tables to determine CO2. Measure your KH, then measure your PH before CO2. Find your value on the chart at this link (bottom) http://www.rexgrigg.com/Algae1.html
Now figure out how far you will have to drop your pH to get to 30 ppm. Usually 1 degree of pH. Add CO2 until you reach your desired pH.

3. Degas method. Measure pH of a water sample. Let a fresh water sample sit un capped for 24 hours. Measure pH, if the pH value changed by 1 degree then you are at 30 ppm.

Keep in mind that just because you are at 30 ppm CO2 you will not automatically see pearling. There are many other factors that go into plants pearling. The lighting and fertalization has to be perfect as well, otherwise the plants will not be able to photosynthesis fast enough to produce bubbles of O2 on their leaves. There are many rate limiting steps in trying to get pearling.

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
hungryhound is 100% correct

ctruz1110
06-25-2007, 08:38 AM
>> i've changed my undergravel filter to hang-on filter. i put my co2 cylinder below the filter and my co2 bubbles flying all over my tank and stick to my plants,driftwoods and tank.. but

>> so far.. no pearling.. but last few days i bought some glossostigma and saw one of them pearling.. only one of hundred leafs... Haha.. but i'm happy..

ctruz1110
07-18-2007, 03:27 AM
ok. my plants are pearling now. i've added another bottle of diy co2 and another 18w FL and there are pearling. my happiness doesnt last long when i notice bunches of black small algae (BBA????) on my marsilea (even before adding 2nd co2 and 18w) and java moss. those on marsilea are getting worse to worst.. even small leafs are infected. those on j.moss are getting better as they came and gone before.. strangely, there are pearling and growing like other plants. so whats the problem?? i dont have any test kits to test the water. should be no problem because i have 10 crs, 20 cherries, 1 yamato and 3 ottos in there living happily.
i read from another forum saying flourish excel can kill algae. anyone tried before??

zackish
07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Does pearling also have to do with your oxygen level in the tank?

Algenco
07-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Does pearling also have to do with your oxygen level in the tank?

Yes, the result of oxygen saturation