PDA

View Full Version : how to plant ambulia?

Serenity
10-04-2010, 03:29 AM
gday just got 3 ambulia plants how do i go about planting them? do i space them out or what :) never done live plants before

cheers

rich311k
10-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Tie it to a piece of wood or rock with cotton thread or fishing line. You can plant it in the substrate, if you decide to plant it in the substrate be sure to leave the thick horizontal stem called a rhizome above the gravel.

funkman262
10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Tie it to a piece of wood or rock with cotton thread or fishing line. You can plant it in the substrate, if you decide to plant it in the substrate be sure to leave the thick horizontal stem called a rhizome above the gravel.

You might be thinking of anubias or something. Ambulia is a stem plant and should be planted in the substrate.

Typically, you should space them out to give the lower leaves a better chance at receiving light, otherwise everything towards the bottom will die off. If you have powerful lights, you might be able to get away with bunching them up.

rich311k
10-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks Funk, I did read anubia. I had no coffee yet.

Plant the ambulia at a bit of an angle. Strip the leaves off a node or two at the bottom and insert it into the substrate. If it likes your tank the stuff will grow like a weed.

WhiteDevil
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Be careful with that stuff, that is a HIGHLY invasive plant and any discardable pieces must be dried out and burned if not just dried out. Its on the Federal list and banned in many states, I know you live in AU however becareful, that country is one of the last places in this world with little to no human contact.

I just shove mine in and it takes off like crazy, if it likes your tank be ready to trim 2x a week lol