PDA

View Full Version : help on growing java moss ?

superbsite
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM
hi all
ive just got a clump of java moss and wanted to grow it further for my 3 tanks that i have and also give away some to those who need it because it was a rare find for me and i paid 6 $ for it.

ive done all the necessary reading on how to attach it to driftwood / coconut shell.

ive got two coconut shell halves which i boiled for 2 hours to remove tannins. i then dried them in the sun for a day and currently ive submerged them in a large fish bowl that im not using any more to see if any tannins will come out before i can use them.

the clump of java ive kept in smaller bowl submerged in water

since i live in a tropical climate where day temperatures reach max 34°C and min 26°C.

1/ would it be ok to keep the moss exposed to direct sunlight for 6 hours ?
2/ what can i do to speed up the growth ?
3/ do i need to add any food or fish in this ?
4/ is co2 necessary or can i do w/o this ?
5/ can i keep the java in a room where there is no direct sunlight ?
6/ are water changes necessary considering if there is only java growing it ?

Tks

Dave66
10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
In order, yes sunlight is fine, though the plant is found mostly on the edges of flowing water, like that of waterfalls, meaning it's more of a marginal plant rather than a pure aquatic. Sunlight will, however, found algae on your decorations and glass, as well as raise the water temperature.

Second, not much, since Java moss is a very slow grower under water.

Third pelleted and small frozen foods, small organisms cultured live, see my how to culture primer on the forum for instructions on home culturing. You just need foods small enough for your fishes to eat. Tiny meals twice daily is good for the fishes you have. Feed smaller portions than you think you should.

Fourth, no, you don't need Co2. It's one of those thinks that isn't essential to have, but always desirable when growing aquatic plants in a high light situation. Since your tank is so low light, Co2 isn't necessary.

Yes you can, but indirect sunlight will be helpful, long as you have something to eat the algae that will form.

Yes it is, think of opening the window in a room. A partial change does the same. About 10 percent a week will be fine for your small tank. Do your partial changes at night for two reasons. One to raise the dissolved Oxygen that is depleted at night, and second it avoids stressing the fishes.

Dave

superbsite
10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks Dave
Read your comprehensive post on culturing primer which was excellent.
Is there any home made remedies I can use without using any ready available starter cultures because such things are not available in my country for plankton. Is algae good for swordtail frys?

In order, yes sunlight is fine, though the plant is found mostly on the edges of flowing water, like that of waterfalls, meaning it's more of a marginal plant rather than a pure aquatic. Sunlight will, however, found algae on your decorations and glass, as well as raise the water temperature.
Did not know this. I could have searched for it in my recent mountain trip near the water falls we went to. Thought it was usually submerged in ponds. Will surely take a look next time around. My regular fish tanks are not exposed to sunlight.

Second, not much, since Java moss is a very slow grower under water.
This is good advice. So if wants to proliferate growth one can float it at the top

Third pelleted and small frozen foods, small organisms cultured live, see my how to culture primer on the forum for instructions on home culturing. You just need foods small enough for your fishes to eat. Tiny meals twice daily is good for the fishes you have. Feed smaller portions than you think you should.
I feed my fish once a day only either fish flakes, freeze dried blood worms / daphnia, egg yolk for the frys and sometimes boiled peas.
I wanted to know is there any food to feed the Java Moss since I want to grow it more. Therefore is it necessary to add a fish like a guppy in and let ammonia set in via the guppy and fish feeding so that it helps the Java. OR can I just add some fish flakes in and no fish OR just let it leave it as its is and will in grow

Fourth, no, you don't need Co2. It's one of those thinks that isn't essential to have, but always desirable when growing aquatic plants in a high light situation. Since your tank is so low light, Co2 isn't necessary.
This is good advice

Yes you can, but indirect sunlight will be helpful, long as you have something to eat the algae that will form.
OK so I will keep the Java near an partly opaque window where the sunlight is quite bright. At night will it help if I moved it to a cooler airconditioned room ?
I noticed a tiny red shrimp fry in the cluster. Probably the guy who sold it to me was breeding it for clearing his algae. Now I wonder if that shrimp will survive because of the water change I did when I first sumberged it. Will this shrimp survive in a swordtail fry tank ?

Yes it is, think of opening the window in a room. A partial change does the same. About 10 percent a week will be fine for your small tank. Do your partial changes at night for two reasons. One to raise the dissolved Oxygen that is depleted at night, and second it avoids stressing the fishes.
Good advice on the water change for the Java Moss and fish. My frys get small water changes every day. Must say its a task trying to keep fry alive

Thanks

Cheers