PDA

View Full Version : Sudden betta death??

invadertoast
10-01-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm totally at a loss here. I have a crowntail betta in a 2.5 gallon that's been living on my night stand since maybe last summer. He is my favorite, always curious and active and interested in whatever I'm doing. The tank has live plants, a Tom submersible filter, and a small Tetra heater. My levels are always fine. Today I cleaned his tank by doing changing 1/3 of his water. About 20 minutes ago he was happily swimming around as always. I just turned around and saw him floating straight up with his tail resting on a clump of java moss, I thought it was him just being weird like always, but he's clearly dead - stiff, with all his fins flared out. I don't get it! Levels are all still fine, and I cleaned my 4 gallon betta tank at the same time and he is fine! I KNOW I added dechlorinator to the bucket because I always do it when I start filling the bucket up, and as I was walking away from the sink I added a few more drops just in case. Could he have been electrocuted by the heater or something?? I'm completely stunned :(

Michael Milligan
10-01-2010, 11:44 PM
sorry for your loss.

I imagine there is a simple biological explanation, it is just that betta autopsies are likely VERY expensive. lol Could have been dying for a while and it wasn't something you could see.

Who knows? Organ failure, virus, some type of unseen infection heart attack. Plenty of age related or natural caused. It happens.

Lab_Rat
10-01-2010, 11:54 PM
It could have been stray electricity from the heater. Would make sense for the time frame. I'd be replacing the heater if you think that is what caused the death. Make sure you unplug it before putting your hand in there.

One other thought is the water company may have changed something with the water (different additive, etc). Keep an eye on the other fish in the other tanks.

iheartbettas
10-02-2010, 08:34 AM
obviously you know what you're doing and your guess is as good as ours, but it was probably something isolated like a contaminated bucket or tubing or like you said, a slight shock from the heater. sorry for your loss.

Michael Milligan
10-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't know how a heater could zap a fish and still be functioning. Was it a non-submersible that was in too low or what? What made you think the heater?

If it had a short filled with water wouldn't it have water in the bottom of the glass and most likely have popped your electrical breaker by now?

chrisfraser05
10-02-2010, 02:18 PM
it wasn't the heater bud.

Its not voltage that kills, its current.

Electricity takes the route of least resistance back to its point of origin, unless the fish was out of the water and touching something grounded the surrent would not have flowed through his body, even if you had put a live wire straight in the tank (DO NOT DO THIS AS IT IS DANGEROUS TO YOU) the fish would have not been injured.

Betta's have a habit of dying suddenly, as we found out this week :(

He prob had an illness which had no symptoms visiable to us.

Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel.

Bettablue
10-02-2010, 04:37 PM
So sorry for your loss... it is terrible when one of our little guys passes. Could it be some sort of soap residue in the container that you aged/treated the water in? Otherwise, maybe it was something that was coming on that didn't have any visible symptoms. :(

Gisela
10-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Really sorry for your loss. Lost mine in June also after only 7 month. Know the feeling.