PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal BN growth.

Australian natives
10-01-2010, 12:53 AM
i started my 55g off with 2 common BN plecos. which were about the same size (2cm long).

but now after approximately 3 weeks, 1 is about 2-3 times the size of the other which is around 2.5-3cm. the larger one also has a very large stomach. and will chase the smaller BN on sight. Also around feeding time it bullies both the BN and the corys away from the food.

i am thinking that it is fat due to it hogging the food when feeding. (which is has only started doing in the last week) but it doesn't add up, as it also appeared to have been overindulging before it even showed interest in the cory sinking wafers or the veg. (maybe from gorging on algae)

this fish is also the one i caught flashing. but he seems to have stopped that now. i gave it a pea to see if it was constipated and it gobbled it up and its stomach has remained large.

is there a risk that this fish is going to grow large enough to hurt the other fish? will its aggression get worse? or is this all normal?

Peace

WhiteDevil
10-01-2010, 01:50 AM
I dont have pleco aggression at all, I do have 5 that are the same age, only 1 has developed his bristles(huge ones) and the others have not, some are smaller then others but they all eat and poop so all is well.

Australian natives
10-01-2010, 01:58 AM
hmm. maybe this one is just a grump. hopefully he will sort out his issues =P

rich311k
10-01-2010, 02:02 AM
I have found with BNs that some are just smaller and grow much slower. I do not think you have anything odd going on.

Brhino
10-01-2010, 02:26 AM
my BN can definitely be a grump sometimes. A couple days ago he slapped over an assassin snail with his tail for no reason whatsoever. Don't think they do much damage, though.

Australian natives
10-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Rich: oh ok, good to know that it is not uncommon, i suppose i wont worry about the smaller one until i see signs of it being hungry (shrunken stomache or something).

Brhino:
yeah the corys don't seem to be phased by it, they just swim away when it chases them and then go right bak over to him once he stops and keep eating his food. the other BN though seems to keep out of his way. i am just worried that it will keep growing this quickly and then be big enough to suck the little one up whole =P.