PDA

View Full Version : Badis Badis

Abbeys_Mom
06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Has anyone here kept and/or bred these guys?

Abbeys_Mom
06-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I bought 3. 2 females and a male. They are the neatest little fish I have seen in a long time. They act a lot like my kribs, but they do a funny little charge that is neat. I will post pics when I get some.

Drumachine09
06-23-2007, 11:48 PM
I googled it, and they are pretty cool looking fish.

Abbeys_Mom
06-24-2007, 01:51 AM
I couldn't pass them up. I have never seen them before and apparently the scarlet ones are fairly rare here. They seem to settling in well. I hope to be able to breed them.

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Hey are very neat looking but I've never heard of them. The resemble the paradise fish in a way.

Abbeys_Mom
06-24-2007, 02:11 AM
They are their own fish. They are like rams and related to labyrinth fish. I think their closest relative is a perch? It's really hard to find info on these guys. They are Scarlet Badis and apparently, there are 6 different kinds of Badis. I was told by the LFS that they were in the cichidae (sp?) family, which they are not. I just really like them. Right now, they are smaller then my sparkling gourami, only about 1cm.

elmer
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I found a neat page on Badis here:
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Badis%20badis.htm

elmer
06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Anyone seen these in the Toronto area lately?

Lady Hobbs
06-25-2007, 07:25 PM
You hit on about my favorite online, Elmer. I love this site and love the way the guy writes it. I enjoy the humor in his style. I think AbbeysMom may have directed a few interested parties in this direction. I like these fish alot.

Abbeys_Mom
06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Elmer, I am in Burlington and they have them at the Super Pet near the Ikea. They are on special right now, 3 for $10.

troy
06-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Cool fish, I want one. Unfortunately, I can't set up another tank. Best of luck with them.

Abbeys_Mom
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I have already had to take 2 back to the store and I am going back again today. The first male I bought was missing an eye (I know, not a big deal, but it upset my toddler). The female I got to replace the male died within 12 hours of being let go in the tank. The female I got to replace THAT female is dead too. I know what the problem is, they are feeding the wrong food at the store and the fish are on the verge of death. Badis Badis are meat eaters who prefer live food and generally won't eat flake. The store was just dumping flake in the tank, so they weren't eating. I grabbed some blood worms at the LFS and they eat them, so the 2 I have left are starting to fill out and look better. I am going to get a glowlight danio to replace the dead female, as the badis badis are doing fine with just the 2 of them.

troy
06-26-2007, 09:42 PM
That could easily make a new aquarist leave the hobby, even though it wouldn't
be their fault.

stubbytheplecostomus
06-30-2007, 05:42 AM
badis badis also go by the name chameleon fish, they can change colors so quickly no one is for sure how many species there really is, they are related to both gouramis and chiclids. often they only look dull or brown but if cared for they are capable of every color under the rainbow, their was a article on them a few months ago in aquarium fish international i would recommend for you.

Dave66
08-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Badis are Nandids, not members of the Cichlid family. They prefer to spawn flower pots laid on the gravel with a temp of 80 degrees. Male guards the eggs and fry for a while. Badis badis can change colors at a whim; no cichlid can match them.
Dug out my 1953 copy of Innes' Exotic Aquarium Fishes for most of the above. Haven't kept them since the late 70's or early 80's, so had to refresh the ole' bean. Amazed you found them in a LFS; I haven't seen them for sale in ages.

Dave

Abbeys_Mom
08-16-2007, 10:28 PM
My female died. Too stressed by the male I think. The male is going strong, but is now alone. I will see if I can get the LFS to order more for me, but they are always iffy on that unless you are willing to buy a dozen or so.

AquaQueen
08-16-2007, 10:45 PM
awww what a pretty fish...I dont think I've ever heard of them before today tho. It sounds like they are very sensitive and hard to keep though. Sorry to hear that you lost another one. Good Luck if you get the LPS to get more for you. I think they would be worth it to get more and keep trying.

kebuchan
08-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey Abbeys_Mom,

I just picked up some more badis. Was just fascinated with this fish and then found someone who actually imported them from Asia. So now I've got 4 Scarlet Badis (Dario dario), 6 young badis badis (badis burmanicus) and 2 adult b. burmanicus. They're all in separate tanks. So far so good.

Had a question for you about the dario dario, what did you feed them and were they enthusiastic eaters? The only thing I can get my badis burmanicus to eat are brine shrimp (live). They won't touch flake food. They go for the frozen blood worms but only while they float to the bottom. They will not touch them once they hit the gravel. The dario dario on the other hand are about 1/2" long and they eat frozen blood worms that are the same length as they are, run around with the worms hanging out their mouths, it's hillarious, i need to get video of that sometime :-)

Thanks,

Kevin

Abbeys_Mom
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I feed my scarlet badis blood worms. He won't touch anything else. I have never seen him eat, but I have had him for a few months now. I think he also likes to eat Planaria.

kebuchan
08-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Hey Abbeys_Mom,

How big is your dario dario? Mine are about 1/2" long ... just wondering how large they get, I think mine are juvi.

Thanks,

Kevin

Abbeys_Mom
08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Mine is only a half inch as well. I don't know if he is full grown or not. They may be really slow growers. I have been keeping mine by himself. I tried him with a betta, but that didn't work. The is currently a Yo Yo loach in with him, but that is just a short term placement.

kebuchan
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Hmmm, my setup is only temporary but right now the 4 dario dario are in with 8 metriaclima greshakei (Ice Blue Cichlids) in a 10g. They are really young Ice Blues, they're smaller than the dario dario :)

They still flare up at each other, it's fun to watch, no nipping just lots of fin. 'course the Ice Blues are going to get to 6" ... LOL will need to move 'em someplace soon.

Kevin