PDA

View Full Version : Best Carpet plant...

XLord
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
So I have a 10 gallon fish tank with very good lighting, and I have playground sand for a substrate and I'm planning to change that to gravel as a substrate, and well I'm wondering, what would be the best carpet plant out there and why?

Wild Turkey
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
A lot of carpet plants need quite a bit of light, the type of lighting and wattage you're using will be helpful in determining what carpet plants may do well.

I have had great success with dwarf sag in low/medium light tanks and up, and I love the way it looks. If your lighting is what would be considered "high" you could go with something more difficult though.

Heres a large list of carpet and other foreground plants:

http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=5&filter_by=2

Personally I would stick with sand for live plants since a lot of plants grow better in sand. Just my opinion though, and it would depend on what plant species you select.

Lab_Rat
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
HC makes a great carpet plant if you can handle it's lighting and CO2 demands. For low light, it's not really a carpet plant, but I'm using subwassertang as a lawn in my betta tank. Very easy to grow, looks cool, and I don't even have substrate in there.