PDA

View Full Version : Krib breeding behaviour

fraley
06-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi all,
finally got a pair of kribs on saturday and am over the moon with them..
Anyway, after the first day the male seemed to become very aggressive with the female and i thought that they were just not compatible.
Anytime she gets near to him he proper goes for her. She seems perfectly healthy and not at all stressed from the attacks.
Yesterday and more so today her red patch has got really intense, like a bright purple and its bigger.
They dont spend anytime together in the tank at all, but today when they meet in the tank she curves her body long ways when he comes up to her side
Is this breeding behaviour, like flirting, or should i be worried?

They have caves in the form of terracotta pots but never go in them.

Any help would be great.... : -)

Abbeys_Mom
06-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Sounds like normal Kribs behavior to me. If there are badly torn fins, then you need to worry. Lip locking, tail hitting, nudging and biting are are flirting things with kribs. I have never had problems with getting Kirbs to pair up, but you generally have more change of success with more females.

fraley
06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh good news then, glad to hear it.
Have seen such a change today, even this evening. now she seems to be going to him and flirting.
Do you think it sounds like i might see the flip flap of tiny fins soon?

nanaglen2001
06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
When your Kribs are standing opoite each other like a "T" and the female shivers like freezing, then it starts to become interesting.

After a while they will start to dig a bit round the chosen cave.

Then you wont see the girl for a while, dont worry, she will be in the cave.

Again a week later, you will have an nice little family swimming thru your tank, and the Oldies are veeery agressive.

fraley
06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
cant wait : - )
There are three caves in tank, is it worth turning one around so that the openings not in view?