PDA

View Full Version : How to stop Ancistrus breeding

PatrickD
09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I have kept tropical freshwater fish for some time but don't profess to be very expert. About two years ago I bought what I believe were two Ancistrus, a male and a female, to keep the tank free of algae. This they do very well. The male has bristles and I think it is a bristlenose Ancistrus. Over the last six months the pair started breeding much to my surprise as I have never been successful with that side of fishkeeping before. However, once they started, they have not stopped and my 130 litre tank is becoming overrun with the young some of which are nearly adult size. There are literally dozens of them. There are a dozen other fish in the tank but they do not eat the babies at all.
My question is will they go on reproducing for ever? How can I stop them short of taking out the male. From my limited knowledge it seems all the young are female i.e. the adult female has no bristles and none of the babies do either. My local shop has said they will take some of the young from me but I am having trouble catching them. Any suggestions for catching small, very active babies?
Any advice on the overpopulation of my tank would be much appreciated.
Patrick

rich311k
09-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Probably not much you can do, if you don't separate them. Good news is there is usually a steady demand for them, they are popular fish.

Brhino
09-30-2010, 05:42 PM
From my limited knowledge it seems all the young are female i.e. the adult female has no bristles and none of the babies do either.

Adult male bristlenose have bristles, but young males do not. So, all the young you see without bristles could be either gender.

William
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Let them breed and sell the ypung/ trade them for food, supplies etc.