PDA

View Full Version : Angels & Bugs

~Col~
09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi All

Noticed this evening that the light on my little 5.5g had attracted flying bugs (big wings, larvae looking body) and they'd fallen into the tank. The fish in that tank are too small for these so I scooped them up and dumped them into my big tank. The angel hunted them down one by one and gobbled them up.

Is that okay? Would it be okay to add bugs (soft shelled) to its diet?

We don't use pesticides around here and are on acreage so the nearest neighbour shouldn't affect us.

I just figured if they are going to commit suicide in one of my tanks and the fish like them as food, all the better! Make sense?

Cheers

rich311k
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Bugs are a fine food, that is what many tropical fish eat in a naturfal habitat.

Sarkazmo
09-27-2010, 01:06 PM
My Betta go crazy for gnats and small fruit flies. Most fish'll take insects if they're small enough and it's a good source of fresh food for 'em. Just be careful of what kind as some beetles have defensive chemicals they release when attacked and of course no stinging insects. But flies, fruit flies, small crickets, gnats and the like are fine.

Sark

promise
09-27-2010, 03:13 PM
I had a problem with small nat's i had hundreds of them flying around the light in one of my tanks between the glass and the water surface, they kept laying larvae in the water would then hatch and fly around the light, so i had enough one day, everything i tried didn't work so i put a few of my danio's in the tank and within about 2 days no more problems.
the same as grasshoppers here during the summer my Flowerhorn loves them, they are naturally occurring in my yard so she gets a treat every couple of weeks, its the only live food i will feed her.

bugs are fine as long as you don't live near roads or farms where they spray crops with chems, in their natural habitat fish eat bugs as a main staple of their diet so a few in there tank in addition to a balanced diet given by you really will cause absolutely no harm. it also keeps the bug population down in your house.

~Col~
09-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for that everyone!