PDA

View Full Version : Which Ferts?

Australian natives
09-27-2010, 06:07 AM
heyguys just wondering what is the best fertalisers for me to buy (liquid and tablet forms)

i have a java fern, some water wisteria, a coffee leaf anubias, a mystery anubias, some nana, dwarf hair grass, amazon swords, and java moss.

unfortunately flourish is unavailable to me.

the brands i can choose from include:

- Dupla
- API
- Geovanni's
- Julian Sprung's FloraPlan
- Red Sea

any suggestions?

Sarkazmo
09-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Are they growing? If so, don't worry about it. If you start seeing any sort of degeneration, leaf yellowing, stunted growth, then you need to start dosing. Watch the plants closely to see how they're doing, then go from there.

Sark

Australian natives
09-27-2010, 06:45 AM
the java fern and the amazon swords aren't doing too well.

Sarkazmo
09-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Java Fern is a water column feeder, if planted it'll typically go south fast, especially if the rhizome is buried as it'll rot away. Swords are root feeders. API fert tabs for the Swords and a general aquatic liquid fert for the JF. A planted tank is a balancing act so be careful. If you get too much light or too much fertilizer you'll get an algal bloom and it'll hit fast.

If you don't already have your lights on a timer you'll want to put them on a timer giving the plants about 10hrs of light a day. Make sure that you're giving the plants the right wavelength of light too in the 5000-7000 kelvin rating ideally around 6500-6700k.

Good luck.

Sark

Australian natives
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
thnx for the advice =]. i think ill put an order in for the tablets, and i may try and get some flourish comprehensive for the JF. i don't have a light for the timer but try to get it as close to 10 hours as i can manually. and i have bulbs made for plant growth so i should be right in that regard.
thnx again =].
Peace

Australian natives
09-29-2010, 05:36 AM
ive decided to just get some flourish comprehensive and flourish fert tabs. as i have been told they work =P. i may not need the liquid though as the other day i took the lead wire off of my java fern and spread it out and it seems to be doing a fair bit better.

thnx for the replies.
Peace