PDA

View Full Version : Ancistrus gold and brown?

Xavier
09-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Since I know I will need to replace my common pleco with an ancistrus (BN pleco) sometime in the future, I started looking for a local breeder. I think I found one that sells two kinds: Gold and brown (common)... I know very little about this breed, except that it was recommended to me...

I wanted to know what you guys thought the price range on these should be. Also, what colour should I get? Does it make a different in price or bahaviour? Is there something I should look for when picking out the fish?

toddnbecka
09-26-2010, 05:11 AM
They're just regular and albino varieties of the same species, no difference aside from color. Price depends on the size of the fish and the local market. They're dirt cheap on this side of the border because they're quite common fish, but they do tend to be less commonly available and a bit higher-priced in Canada. They aren't sexable under 2-2.5"; males will develop bristles on their nose, females won't. You'll likely need to supplement their diet with veggies, even a single BN pleco isn't likely to find enough algae in a small tank to live on w/out other food.