PDA

View Full Version : Plastic plants for shrimp?

Thimk
09-25-2010, 03:42 PM
My Java Fern is dying, and I might when replace it with a plastic counter-part when it fully goes... Would this be OK with my three Orange Bee Shrimp?

admael
09-25-2010, 07:36 PM
How about moss attached to a small piece of driftwood

Fishguy2727
09-26-2010, 12:14 AM
If java moss is dying there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

I would not house shrimp without live plants. I would use: moss balls, java moss, hornwort, and anacharis. Others would vary based on your lighting, water conditions, etc.

Thimk
09-26-2010, 01:10 AM
If java moss is dying there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

I would not house shrimp without live plants. I would use: moss balls, java moss, hornwort, and anacharis. Others would vary based on your lighting, water conditions, etc.

I don't think I installed the Java Fern correctly. It's kinda buried under some rocks. However, it's only been 3 days since I got it, so we'll see if new leaves start coming around.

I will look into the Java moss though.

Why would you advise against live plants with shrimp?

Fishguy2727
09-26-2010, 01:14 AM
I would ONLY keep shrimp with live plants.

sebastien
09-26-2010, 01:23 AM
+1 on moss balls

Sarkazmo
09-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Eventually a biofilm will develop on the plastic plant and the shrimp will feed on it but until that happens it's just a useless chunk of plastic in their home. As stated above, live plants are pretty much essential for shrimp to do well. Marimo Moss balls are great, Java Moss, Flame Moss, just about any moss, Anacharis, Wisteria (Water Sprite,) Hornwort... There's tons of low light, no maintenance plants out there. Shrimp love the long feathery roots on Dwarf Water Lettuce and Frogbit and will climb all over the plants, hanging from the under side of the floating plants.

With Java Fern you need to only cover the roots, not the Rhizome (the horizontal part of the plant that the roots and leaves are attached.) Covering the Rhizome will result in it rotting and the plant dying. Another option is to attach the Java Fern to a rock or driftwood, or even an ornament with nylon thread.

Sark

korith
09-26-2010, 04:42 AM
With Java Fern you need to only cover the roots, not the Rhizome (the horizontal part of the plant that the roots and leaves are attached.) Covering the Rhizome will result in it rotting and the plant dying. Another option is to attach the Java Fern to a rock or driftwood, or even an ornament with nylon thread.

Sark

That's a good point, was thinking the same thing. Also new plants can take a while to rebound and establish their root systems in the tank, so give it some time and see what happens.

Thimk
09-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Eventually a biofilm will develop on the plastic plant and the shrimp will feed on it but until that happens it's just a useless chunk of plastic in their home. As stated above, live plants are pretty much essential for shrimp to do well. Marimo Moss balls are great, Java Moss, Flame Moss, just about any moss, Anacharis, Wisteria (Water Sprite,) Hornwort... There's tons of low light, no maintenance plants out there. Shrimp love the long feathery roots on Dwarf Water Lettuce and Frogbit and will climb all over the plants, hanging from the under side of the floating plants.

Sark

Thanks for the useful info!

Off the top of your head, what are some "no maintenance" plants?

sebastien
09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I love my wisteria!