PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Convicts....I think.

sarahfaye
06-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I've been keeping aquariums for about a year now and have 3 healthy aquariums. I recently aquired a 15 gal aquarium with 2 pairs of 2 year old black convicts. The man I bought them from said that they have bred many times before but not recently. I got them home and within days one female started expanding her cave underneath a rock. Her male became very aggressive toward the other male. I took this to mean that she was getting ready to lay eggs. I can't see any eggs yet, and it's been a few days. She sorts hides in the cave all day long though, so who knows what's in there. Interestingly, the other female just dug herself a hole, and it's the same male that's spending time with her now. The other male has lost a little of his color, but he's still eating, and the bigger male doesn't bother him unless he comes near a female or one of the caves. Is my first female guarding eggs because I can't see anything? And why is the male claiming both females as his own? Is this normal at all? Any advice would be great. I've been reading all over the internet and this is the first place I found where I can get feedback. Also, while I can't see eggs at all, my first female and now the second look like they have little bulges under their bellies, like possible eggs hanging out, but I can't really tell. Does anyone know what it looks like while they are laying?

cocoa_pleco
06-20-2007, 02:25 AM
they could be bloated from overfeeding. how much do you feed?

Thats WAY to small of a tank for those guys. they need at least a 55g for a pair. They may just be crabby from having no territory.

welcome to ac!

sarahfaye
06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Don't I know it. The guy I got them from said he's had them since their grandparent's generation, but a bigger tank is at the top of my list, I feel crowded just looking at them. I definetely have eggs now, though. My second female laid some on the side of a rock in the back of the tank. I still can't see down into the cave the first female dug, but she almost ntherever leaves so she must be doing something important. The funny thing is, the big male is definetely watching over both females. He won't let the other male come near either dwelling, and any time one of the girls tries to leave, even to eat, he ushers them back to their respective dwellings. I guess he's being a very diligent parent, but is it normal for one male to breed with both females?

sarahfaye
06-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I only feed as much as they'll eat. 3 times a day, twice either cichlid crisps or sticks, and once a day frozen bloodworms. They haven't been eating much, except the smaller male. I guess the others are too preoccupied :).

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 02:17 AM
bloodworm is more for once a week. it can harm them if its given too often.

I wouldnt be surprised if you male was after the two females. convicts are all-star pimps. they will breed like crazy

sarahfaye
06-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. And I didn't know that about bloodworms. My pygmy puffer doesn't really eat anything else, though. What about the fishies that live with him?

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
puffers are best species only,. with pea puffers, aka pygmys, you can get away with some other fish. fast bottom feeders like kuhli loaches should be okay

sarahfaye
06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, puffers can be little bullies, so I've never worried about him with the other fish. You should see him snatch a bloodworm from the albino rainbow shark :). But you said that I shouldn't give the fish bloodworms every day, and he doesn't eat anything else. So how do I not give the fish he lives with bloodworms daily when the puffer needs to eat?