PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect with this light on a nano reef?

SunSchein89
09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
It's the Nova Extreme HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture, 18". It comes with 2x 18w t5 bulbs; one is 10,000K and the other is 460nm actinic. This would all be over a standard 10 gal tank.

I'm just interested to know what kind of corals I could expect to keep with this kind of lighting. Are anemones out of the question or could I possibly keep one? I'm guessing zoas would be fine. I don't really know much about corals, so if anyone could recommend some oddballs or things that will look really bright and pretty that would work with this, I'd appreciate it.

If anyone knows of a better deal on a lighting, I'm all ears, too. I found this light fixture for $70 shipped so far. That's about the best I've seen on price for any light that will work for a 10 gal.

SunSchein89
09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
:bump: :help: please (blush)

Edit: Could've sworn I posted this like 3 days ago lol. Maybe I should've waited until the weekend was over for the bump; so used to the fast responses on here I guess.... oh well.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
That fixture would be a great choice. Anemones are a no go in a 10gal period, regardless of light. Even the Bubble-tip anemones are really too large for a 10gal.

With that fixture, you could keep a large variety of corals. I'd stay away from most SPS, even Monti caps. Monti caps would thrive under that light, but they get much too large for a 10gal, you would have to constantly frag it.

There are some great LPS you could keep that do not get extremely large or reach too far. Zoanthids are a great choice for that size tank. Personally also like the idea of something like a Favia in there as well. Candy Canes are another LPS that will do quite well in small tanks.

Just remember, just because you have an adequate watts:gallons ratio for some corals, when you deal with small fixtures like this, you have to take into consideration "overall light provided" by the bulbs. Many of the small bulbs are simply not sufficient for more light demanding corals.

SunSchein89
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks Barb!

I wasn't really expecting to be able to do any SPS, so that's all good. The favia and candy canes look really cool, at least on google, anyway :rolleyes:. I'll definitely have to look around for those and some nice colorful zoas. Sucks I just spent most of my disposable income yesterday (and probably today :11: ) at the reptile show/auction. Soooo, it's probably going to be awhile before I can set this thing up, but that just means more research on my part, which is a good thing.