PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting too concerned too soon?

thedeanorama
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I have an Echinodorus Rose in the tank that had developed a few holes since the weekend.

Background:
-New tank in day 2.75 of a fishless cycle, I won't know actual levels of anything until I get home this evening.
-Substrate: Eco Complete (left it alone as directed and all contents including the water are in the tank and also used the included little packet as directed).
-Lighting: 2x25 watt 10k in a 12g nano tank
-Co2 reactor on an airstone buried in the middle of my ceramic disc chamber topped off with bioballs (and very much bubbling).
-Temperature: 82 (as best as I can tell knowing the +/- 3 degrees of a glass thermometer

This plant does emit bubbles in the afternoon when it gets a bit of natural light and seems to be showing its pleasure in its new enviroment (has transformed from sad wilty to standing and perky), its just these few holes I'm concerned about. There is one that I accidently introduced into a leaf by crushing it with some wood I was putting into the tank, but the others were not from accidental damage.

Am I being overly concerned due to the fact that I'm only 3 days in or should I be looking at something to fix this up before the plant suffers a painful death?

Brhino
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
A lot of plants will suffer initially when they get put in a new environment, but then perk up afterward. That could be what you're seeing here.

thedeanorama
09-27-2010, 12:24 AM
The plants seem to be thriving growth wise, they are growing faster than I thought they would so all in all I guess things are more or less balanced.

BUT ... and there is always a but .... sigh

The holes in the Echinodorus Rose are getting bigger and my Ludwigia has now developed at least one that I can see as well. I noted in one of the stickies that these holes could be related to a potassium deficiency. What is the best way to A) add potassium into the tank and B) how much to add?

I'm in my fishless cycle so also I don't want to introduce anything thats going to mess this up either. I do have a bottle of a liquid plant fert that was part of my initial supplies purchase but it doesn't list potassium as an ingredient.

Jeddi
09-27-2010, 01:09 AM
It seems you have adequate CO2 and lighting but you're missing the other part-- Nutrients. Since there are no fish in the tank crating waste and a lot of plants, I'd suspect a nutrient deficiency. Try adding the fert; it's worth a try. Note that echninodorus species are heavy root feeders so they'd benefit much more from a root tab. Check the label too and see if it has phosphates, cause that's a big no no

But still I wouldn't worry about it too much. I understand though... When you're just starting out, it feels like anything and everything is a problem. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lab_Rat
09-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Seachem makes a liquid potassium supplement. Dosing ferts should not mess up your cycle, though you may get falsely elevated nitrate readings.

thedeanorama
09-27-2010, 03:14 AM
Seachem makes a liquid potassium supplement. Dosing ferts should not mess up your cycle, though you may get falsely elevated nitrate readings.

It seems you have adequate CO2 and lighting but you're missing the other part-- Nutrients. Since there are no fish in the tank crating waste and a lot of plants, I'd suspect a nutrient deficiency. Try adding the fert; it's worth a try. Note that echninodorus species are heavy root feeders so they'd benefit much more from a root tab. Check the label too and see if it has phosphates, cause that's a big no no

But still I wouldn't worry about it too much. I understand though... When you're just starting out, it feels like anything and everything is a problem. :hmm3grin2orange:

With a fresh bag of Eco Complete as the substrate, I was led to believe (LFS) that I wouldn't need to worry about fert additives for about a month. I'll check out the shop for something with potassium in it though.

Hopefully the plants survive the algae, I didn't realize how adhesive that stuff is until I tried to see what it would take to remove it from my little stick, so glad its not showing any signs of attaching to the acrylic! I did a magnetic cleaning of it it today anyways just to be sure I got anything starting that wasn't visible to the naked eye.

thedeanorama
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Just a follow up:

The holes in the leaves stopped appearing with the addition of some Seachem Flourish, which has potassium in it. The plants are all doing very well now :)