PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and have ich

JanetMP
06-19-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure what a "thread" is, but I hope this is where I can ask questions. My husband and I set up a beautiful new saltwater tank, everything was going great, was set up about 2 months with a few fish and no disease til I bought a blue hippo tang and a small puffer. The blue hippo got ich and then it spread, the puffer got a grey film on his eye and then one eye began to bulge, so here I had ich, bacterial infection and fungus. Quite a slam to a new saltwater aquarist. We don't have a QT tank. Thank God I didn't put copper in, but rather used Chem Marin Parasite Stop and Maracyn Plus and installed a UV sterilizer. Well the Puffer got better, slowly, but did get better. I've used two bottles of Chem Marin Parasite Stop and the ich spots are gone, but my blue hippo is still profusely itching himself on the rocks. I don't know what to do next. Since all the local fish stores were out of the Chem Marin Parasite Stop, I was given sera brand costapur. All I was told was that it would not hurt anything in my tank including the invertebrates and that it was very good. I have discovered that it has malachite green in it and I have already put one dose in my tank. I now understand from research that malachite green can stain my tank. Anyways, to now ask my question. I don't know what to do next. Hippo is scratching his head off even though I don't see anything on him. I ordered Chem Marin Parasite Stop off the internet and it should be here in a few days. Should I hold off with the costapur and wait for the Parasite Stop and treat another 5 days?