PDA

View Full Version : How do I modify an Aqueon HOB filter for RCS?

SunSchein89
09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Well the title pretty much says it all. If I were to get RCS for my two tanks, a 10 gal and 20 gal, with 10 and 20 Aqueon HOBs respectively, what's my best bet for modifying the intake? I definitely don't want to mess up the impeller or anything. Does anyone have experience with this or know something that definitely works?

Brhino
09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I know what hasn't worked! :hmm3grin2orange:

I don't have an aqueon, I have two other brands, but the principle should be the same. First, I tried placing small pieces of sponge in the filter intake. Those would get gunked up very quickly and I got tired of changing them every other day. Currently I have a cut-out piece of nylons over the intakes. This works but it too gets gunked up, but not as quickly and its easier to clean. Right now I have to clean them off about twice a week.

Please let me know if you come up with something better!

korith
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
When I had hob filters, I would buy an aquaclear sponge and cut a slit into it and slide that over the intake. Worked well enough. Every water change remove the sponge and just rinse it in a bucket of water, and then put back in. Also the sponge will act as a good place for the shrimp to forage and feed from, lots of little goodies will grow and collect there.

gm72
09-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Simple sponge prefilter or wrap the intake in filter floss. Both would work just fine.

SkipW
09-22-2010, 01:09 AM
I do the same thing with the AquaClear sponge. Get a box of three for the 50 or 70 filter.... I think they are around $6 for the box. Cut an X in the end, deep enough to cover the intake holes.
Works like a charm and it will also give you a little more filtration and area for BB. Just rinse it off in a bucket of old tank water during your WC's.

Sarkazmo
09-22-2010, 03:29 AM
I concur with the AC Sponge prefilter. I use it on several of my filters and not a single fry or RCS baby has gotten sucked in. The RCS, even the babies, tend to crawl all over the sponge and forage for their dinner.

Sark

SunSchein89
09-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Sounds good to me, I'll have to take a look over them next time I'm at work. Anyone know of a good reputable person to buy RCS from? I know I can always shoot in the dark on aquabid, but if someone on here had a good experience I'd be more inclined to go with them.

~Col~
09-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Just thought I'd add that I used one of those little mesh media bags that you can buy at your LFS. Attached it with a rubber band. The water flows through it quite well and the RCS seem to love forraging on it.

Sarkazmo
09-22-2010, 06:56 AM
I bought from this guy on Plantedtank.net: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/72777-fs-red-cherry-shrimp-free-shipping.html

I've also bought from eBay but I can't find the seller. :(

Sark

Brhino
09-26-2010, 07:01 PM
could one of you guys describe what you did with the sponge in a little more detail? I'm having trouble picturing it exactly.

gadget228
09-26-2010, 09:40 PM
On mine I took a spare sponge from an aquaclear filter and cut it down so it's roughly a 1 1/2 on each side and about 2-3" tall. On the top of the sponge cut an X a little bit smaller than your intake pipe. Cut this X about 3/4 of the way into the sponge so you can slide it over your intake pipe. Works great and has a large surface area so fry and shrimp won't get stuck to it.

Brhino
09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
thanks, I'll try that.

MitchTBF
09-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I did the same, bought an extra filter sponge and cut a slit to fit over the intake in order to protect the guppy fry and shrimp. The shrimp like to hang out on it and eat the garbage.

Brhino
09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I did this with one of my two filters last night, seems to be working. I think the important part on doing it this way versus what I was trying previously is that it increases the surface area of the intake, so if a little bit of the sponge gets gunked up it's not going to choke the whole thing off.