PDA

View Full Version : Painting the back of a tank

HeatherB
09-21-2010, 02:48 AM
How should I go about painting the back of my tank? It is my new 5 gallon- I was going to put a black background on it, but would really like to try something matte.

It already has water in it- I just couldn't wait! I've got big plans for it!!!

Anyways- I can move the filter to the other side-But-

-What kind of paint should I use?

-Any certain technique??

korith
09-21-2010, 03:22 AM
If you are willing to empty it, I would just take some paper and tape off the parts you don't want painted. Then take a can of spray paint to the back. Spray on a thin layer, wait a few minutes, then spray on another layer and keep at it, till light stops going through. I just use the cheap 99 cent spray cans from walmart and they do the job just fine. Some people prefer to apply paint with a brush or roller, up to you though.

You could use pretty much anything for background. Could even take a piece of posterboard and tape to the back. Or a piece of black plastic, I have used a thick garbage bag and applied it on the back of the tank.

HeatherB
09-21-2010, 03:28 AM
I was thinking construction paper- at least it's not shiny and wouldn't reflect.

I have black background- I was just hoping for something more matte.

I worried about construction paper getting wet- but it's cheap so I could just replace it. Maybe that craft foam stuff? Or felt?

bmajestic
09-21-2010, 04:53 AM
alot of people have taken just regular paint and painted it on lol.
spray paint is the best as it wont drip as easy when sprayed in thin layers.

korith
09-21-2010, 04:57 AM
For a matte finish, could do non glossy paint maybe? Construction paper works, I have done that in the past too.

JCheco
09-21-2010, 05:34 AM
I use a biece of black felt, only 1.50 at walmart for a 24x48" sheet and it looks good

Pleco380
09-21-2010, 06:11 AM
I use a biece of black felt, only 1.50 at walmart for a 24x48" sheet and it looks good
I had that on my old 27g. It did look good. I actually liked it better than the normal stuff you buy at the LFS.

stevezx2002
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
For a matte finish, could do non glossy paint maybe?

flat black paint will still be glossy thru the glass, the matt finish is on the top of the paint surface, on a tank background you are looking at the bottom of the paint.

Santiago
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Besides black what are the best colors to show off the fish? Is black best?
I'm also looking at doing other interesting backdrops is there a topic here already for that.

My 40G tank is lined inside the back wall with slate tiles attached with aquarium sealer. Worked great.

FishGirl-Seattle
11-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Don't paint it when it has water in it - the water will absorb the fumes and you will have to change out all the water before putting your fish in!

I painted the back of a tank once. First I painted some green plants on the glass (badly, but the fish thought it was adequate!) then painted the whole thing over with black paint. From the front the painted plants looked really neat with the black painted on top of them. It got me thinking that the next time I was going to cut out pictures of fish and stick them to the glass and then paint the black coat over them. That would look really cool from the front!

dbosman
11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Tape black plastic from a trash bag to the back. If you leave it loose and puffy it will look like the tank is deeper than it is.

Cassandra
01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
My dad showed me a really cool way to make a multi-dimensional background for my first tank...wish I had pictures

1)Find a piece of sheet styrofoam and cut it to the size of your tank.
2) take a can of spraypaint (whatever color you like for your background) and in small spurts spray the styrofoam. (The paint melts the styrofoam, creating a coral/rock-like effect)Note:be careful when doing this because the spraypaint melts the styrofoam very easily, and if you do too much you'll have a giant hole.
3)When you have the styrofoam melted the way you want it, let it dry for a few minutes and then take paint (same color as the spray) and brush the paint on to cover the rest of the styrofoam. Let dry before taping it to the back of your tank.
4)Enjoy your homemade rocky background! :19:

Santiago
01-15-2011, 12:48 AM
I like that a lot!

FishyPastor
01-15-2011, 01:43 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank some one gave me with the back already painted, I don't like ti and its a pain to remove. I would go with something you can take off the back of the tank easily. Such as the above examples of Black felt, painting Styrofoam ( great idea) etc.

Santiago
01-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I ended up getting a big sheet of black foam board from Staples. I put some clips on the back of the tank so I can slide it out from the side. When I want to change the background I can put on gift wrap with a glue stick or I have an idea to get some copper flashing and beating it with a hammer and attaching that.

Cassandra
01-15-2011, 02:51 AM
I think the idea of using the copper would be cool...I was actually thinking of using RUST-OLEUM on the styrofoam to give it a metallic finish. Also if you like a bamboo look you could get a small piece of bamboo sheet (bamboo placemat?) and stick that to the back of the tank.

m1aman
01-15-2011, 03:02 AM
I think the idea of using the copper would be cool...I was actually thinking of using RUST-OLEUM on the styrofoam to give it a metallic finish. Also if you like a bamboo look you could get a small piece of bamboo sheet (bamboo placemat?) and stick that to the back of the tank.

Good idea. Grass cloth wall parer will work also.