PDA

View Full Version : plants not doing so well.

Australian natives
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
so as u may know from the many other HELP ME posts i have made. i switched to sand substrate about a week or so ago. and while it looks much better in my opinion it is causing me much strife.

i noticed today that my amazon sword is not doing well, the smaller middle leaves are melting, and browning. i have ensured that the base of the plant is not to deep in the sand (just the roots are buried, some of which are popping out the top of the sand)

Similarly my java fern seems to be struggling, a fair few leaves are browning (look like they are drying out kind of) and the tips of some are becoming transparent. (the lead wire is still wrapped around the base of this plant, should i remove it?)

and finally, the part of my hornwort bunches i have buried is rotting much faster in the sand than it did in the gravel. (within days).

i am just wondering if there is anything i can do to remedy these situations. thnx for your time guys. hope u can help me =].
Cheers.

Lady Hobbs
09-20-2010, 01:07 PM
With just planting everything a week ago, they appear to be going thru some shock and some may recover.

Dave66
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Sand has absolutely no nutrients in it which is your problem. Sword plants are heavy root feeders, and need tons of chelated iron in the substrate. Under my bleheri swords is eight inches of very fine gravel, three inches of laterite, and about five inches of topsoil.

it wouldn't surprise me at all for your sword plant fade away. I know sand looks cool in tanks, but plain sand is certainly not conducive to plant growth.

Dave

promise
09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Yup i have to agree with Dave, i have had 12 swords and every single one of them dissolved in my sand subs, i put the last one in a tank with eco-complete and it was thriving until i got a mass snail problem and they destroyed it.
although i have 4" of play-sand in my 55 and everything is doing amazingly well, growth is phenomenal and it is heavily planted, but i use fert's so that may be the reason.

BiGBlak
09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I have the same exact problem . I have Black Tahitian sand and im trying to plant swords and the first batch didnt do well.... I understand sand has no nutrients but dont they make products like fluorite tabs and stuff like that will greatly help if keep applying ? plz tell me theres a solution out there to help im not a big fan of mixing substrates and plus i already have my tank set up the way i like it minus the plants . So could the use of fluorite tabs, liquid ferts, and root tabs help the "Sand" situation ????.....

Australian natives
09-21-2010, 02:30 AM
i see. i think ill go buy some fert tabs today then. hopefully that will help.

zrolimit
09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
theres a tetra product called PlantaMin which is a liquid additive that you use once a month in the quantities that correspond to your tank size.
the product contains essential nutrients and trace elements like iron and manganese together with other macronutrients such as potassium.
also it stengthens the plants buy suppling them with these nutrients in the form which they require for prolonged development and growth.
it also encourages rich coloured leaves by promoting the formation of chlorophyl. it also does not contain free nitrate and phosphate which pollute the water and promote growth of algae.

i hope this helps :)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/zrolimit88/DSC06551.jpg